Slider Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
What's the best kind of slider? Or are they really worth much at all? I don't want to mount an engine guard on my new bike, but do these little things really help in a drop? Will they protect the mirror(s) or the fragile bracket/stay that supports it? Why do you like--or not--what you have or have used?

SacMike, (IMHO) if the bike rolls over and tags a mirror with much force, you're likely breaking the front subframe. I've been a long time fan of GSG Moko sliders. They mount to the frame via two motor mount bolts, are nicely finished and solid. I have the original puck style, they also make the street-line version which resembles OE Yamaha.

Happy hunting!

~G

What's the best kind of slider? Or are they really worth much at all? I don't want to mount an engine guard on my new bike, but do these little things really help in a drop? Will they protect the mirror(s) or the fragile bracket/stay that supports it? Why do you like--or not--what you have or have used?
No, they won't protect a mirror. They will, however, mostly protect the expensive lower fairing panels in a tip-over.

If you get full crash bars, the mirrors do not touch ground. I had to set my bike down on my rgaza bars after screwing up trying to back up my single wheel trailer once. Only thing on ground was the crash bars.

If you get full crash bars, the mirrors do not touch ground. I had to set my bike down on my rgaza bars after screwing up trying to back up my single wheel trailer once. Only thing on ground was the crash bars.
I had a low side going about 30 mph due to an oil spill on an exit ramp. The slider was ground down about an inch. Plastics and mirror did not touch. I hate to think how much damage would have been done if I didn’t have the sliders.
But I have heard of other’s sliders catching in soft ground and causing the bike to tumble causing a lot of damage.