Suspension Lube

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadGlide

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding stupid (again), I see the need for lubing the swingarm and associated components...what I don't see is how to. Where/how do you EFFECTIVELY lube the rear suspension componets? I don't see any grease fittings etc...Thanks

Look at and read this thread by khunajawdge. The links will take you to the information.

The Short Answer: There are no "zerk" fittings, they need to be disassembled and packed with grease. That's why its suggested to use "waterproof" grease and follow the recommended lube times.

What Mike said...

Best thing to do is wait for a rainy day, build a cheapy stand, crack a beer and start tearing it down. Might as well service the steering head while you're at it. If you've never done this before, it's quite easy, but a novice should be able to get it done in under 8 hours. Just make sure you have all the tools, cleaners and lubes in hand.

While the bearings are lubed from the factory, all of the bolts and bores they go into are not. These bolts will start to rust in the first year. Pack the little needle bearings and spacers by hand and lube the bolts and the holes they go into. On mine I found the two bolts that hold the side stand on the worst. They have nothing to do with suspension but.......

Last edited by a moderator: