LCD bad, is milage in speedo or ECU

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
This question is for my buddy Rob. His FJR is an 04 ( I think ) The LCD went bad so he can't see Milage or trip meter. He was going to purchase a used one but it has a lot more miles than his bike.

Is the milage memory in the Speedo head or in th ECU? My VTX is in the Speedo head, but I dont know about the FJR's

Its in the speedometer. My 03 gave up with 16k on it so I add that to the total. I asked if it could be set to be accurate but the tech said no. I have no idea if he was right or not.

Its in the speedometer.
Yup, and can't be set or changed, not even by Yamaha. Buy a new meter assembly and your motorcycle will have hit the fountain of youth at zero miles. Buy a used meter with high mileage and AARP will be sending your FJR flyers.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were a few here that had their 2nd gen clocks replaced due to the recall (17mpg issue) who had the new speedo/odo sent to some company to have it set to match their existing mileage.

Others, like me, had the cluster replaced and started fresh with 0 miles....muhahahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good used ones pop up on ebay every now and them... you can correct the mileage UPWARD with a speedo healer but not downwards. (at least as far as I'm aware).