GPS stolen, time to decide on new one...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayban

Grouchy old fat guy
Reaction score
As most of you older-timers know, I was a happy fan of the Garmin StreetPilot 2820. I had the optional XM atenna and got both XM radio and XM traffic for it and enjoyed it on long trips. I envied some of the features of the Zumo when it came out, but couldn't rationalize the loss I'd take selling my 2820 just to get a zumo when so many of the software features were too similar to be worth the cost of changing over.

Well, some local San Diegan dirtbags have made that choice a little different now. I had the window smashed open on my car and the GPS, which I took off the dash and stored on the floorboard, was still seen and taken (only thing of value in that old 95 boat).

So, now that I'm going to eventually replace it (no, not under warranty, out of pocket), I'll ask again...

1. for those of you only familiar with the Zumo, what do you dislike?

2. For the few of you out there that may have used both, can you speak to any software feature differences, besides the more-glove-friendly size of the on-screen buttons on the zumo?

I'm leaning towards staying with the 2820 since I already have the mount and wiring all in place on the FJR and using the zumo in the car seems like it will cost me more $$$ to get a car kit, but if there is a BIG satisfaction difference, I suppose I still may go zumo and gain the ease-of-use-while-riding factor.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Looking forward to the day when I'm cleared to ride again (weight loss surgery in Nov had complications that still have me parked)...

Rayban

Doesn't the Zumo come w/ mounting stuff for both the bike AND the car?

From Amazon.com:

What's in the Boxzumo 550, preloaded City Navigator NT North America, MapSource City Navigator NT DVD (full-unlock), motorcycle mount with RAM mounting hardware, automotive suction cup mount with integrated speaker, dashboard disk, carrying case, AC charger, vehicle power cable, motorcycle power cable, USB interface cable, security screwdriver, custom caps (silver and black), Garmin stickers, owner's manual on disk, and quick reference guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't the Zumo come w/ mounting stuff for both the bike AND the car?
From Amazon.com:

What's in the Boxzumo 550, preloaded City Navigator NT North America, MapSource City Navigator NT DVD (full-unlock), motorcycle mount with RAM mounting hardware, automotive suction cup mount with integrated speaker, dashboard disk, carrying case, AC charger, vehicle power cable, motorcycle power cable, USB interface cable, security screwdriver, custom caps (silver and black), Garmin stickers, owner's manual on disk, and quick reference guide.
If so, I mis-read the garmin site, as I thought it ONLY came with motorcycle mounting. Does the car material include a cig-lighter plug and speaker, or does one have to do some wiring into the accessory circuit of the car?

Uhhh. Ok, I confess...I don't have one. I've been on the verge of getting one for a while now, but haven't pulled the trigger. All I know is what I've read, but I THOUGHT it was ready to go in the car AND on the bike. I could be very wrong.

I know there are some folks out there who are using them. Speak up, ya'll.

Comes with both mounts.

The only thing I really hate about the Zumo is that when you disconnect from bike/car power, you loose the audio for music. Why it's this way is beyond me, but it can be annoying.

From the Garmin site, In The Box:

* zūmo 550* Preloaded City Navigator® NT for North America or Europe (full coverage)

* MapSource® City Navigator North America NT DVD or City Navigator Europe NT DVD (full unlock)*

* Motorcycle mount with mounting hardware

* Vehicle suction cup mount with integrated speaker**

* Dashboard disk

* Carrying case

* AC charger

* Vehicle power cable

* Motorcycle power cable

* USB cable

* Security screwdriver

* Custom caps (silver and black)

* Garmin stickers

* Owner's manual on disk

* Quick reference guide

What I Hate About The Zumo

by Jeff Ashe

Not much.

* Loss of sound when unplugged.

* No control of what the default screen/mode is on startup. Would love to have it start up in Map View.

* Random play of ALL mp3 algorithm only works with lots of sub-folders. Tends to repeat selections a lot.

* That damned security screw. Thumbscrew please!

* The price of the XM radio module. Too much $$$ IMO.

* Lack of an audio input. Would love to pipe the RD into the Zumo.

* Lack of an audio mute button. Takes too many keystrokes to shut it up when LEO pulls you over.

* Can't get US English Jill to talk dirty to me.

See, I told you not much.

What I Hate About The Zumoby Jeff Ashe

* Lack of an audio mute button. Takes too many keystrokes to shut it up when LEO pulls you over.
Um, turn the bike's key to 'off'. ;)

* Can't get US English Jill to talk dirty to me.
Funny, English Bruce keeps asking for my phone number. :dntknw:

You guys are BAD,

Ray i have the Zumo and love it, i dont use it in the car (the Suckers are illegal in Cal if stuck to windshield) but it has a built in speaker/mic so you can use your bluetooth phone in the car as well.

R

Thanks to all for the posts. The decision now is between a used 2820 someone has offered and a new Zumo 550.

One plus I see to the zumo is easier undocking, making it less excuse for lazy asses like Rayban to leave it in their car or on their bike...doh.

Funny, of all the times I left it on my bike (under my helmet, which was also loose), I never had anyone disturb it in over a year. If in a high risk area or staying the night someplace strange, I'd either lock it in the side pod or take it in with me, but usual daily use, it stayed on the bike. Now I use it in the car for two months and poof, gone :angry2: :glare: :angry: .... dickheads.

Thanks again for the posts.

Thumbscrews here I bought 2, no problems with overseas transactions...

I can confirm mounts for both car and bike, the lack of interior speakers is for waterproofing "designed for bikes" I don't know much about the 2820 but I love the Zumo, the feature sets seem to be pretty similar so depending on price I would go Zumo. The only thing it doesn't come with is the XM ant but you already have one.

As far as dislikes, I agree with Jeff about the menus. They are poor to navigate in, no button to go straight to the map page...it's always backbackbcakbackbcak. To me, this is a hazard, it needs as many one button operations as possible.

For a good read of dislikes go here, What the Zumo won't do

I've had my Zumo for all of 5 minutes now (since yesterday) and I'm disappointed with a coupla things.

1. That car mount it comes with is worthless. Fell off my windshield twice within 3 minutes of putting it up. And I don't want it on the windshield anyways. Where's the nice bean bag holder for the dash that my Streetpilot 3 had? Lemme guess, I get to buy that separately!

2. The info manual is on disk. That's really gonna help me when I'm no where near a computer.

Garmin continues to put less into the box and charge crazy high prices. I also agree with Jeff about the start up view. Of course I wanna see a map!

I guess its not helping my attitude right now that I just bought an iphone. For half of garmin's retail price of the zumo, I'm getting one helluva machine with awesome graphics. Turning on the zumo and playing around a bit was really disappointing after that. I know I shouldn't compare the 2, and I won't fully love my zumo until its on the bike, but geez, I was expecting more bang for my buck. Hopefully Zumo and I will bond soon and the love will begin.

I've had my Zumo for all of 5 minutes now (since yesterday) and I'm disappointed with a coupla things.
1. That car mount it comes with is worthless. Fell off my windshield twice within 3 minutes of putting it up. And I don't want it on the windshield anyways. Where's the nice bean bag holder for the dash that my Streetpilot 3 had? Lemme guess, I get to buy that separately!
My mount has been rock solid since the beginning. I was amazed that that tiny suction cup would hold a heavy Zumo and allow me to pivot it. You may have a defective one or installer error? You might have to mess with it a little because it is so small it reacts more to surface imperfections.

Thanks for the link Niehart. I may have to go that route if I can't get it worked out in the car. I'll see what I can do about getting it to stick and stay put. If its working for others like Jocko, then its prolly just installer error. I see there's a disk for the dashboard too. Anyone having any luck with that?

Thanks for the link Niehart. I may have to go that route if I can't get it worked out in the car. I'll see what I can do about getting it to stick and stay put. If its working for others like Jocko, then its prolly just installer error. I see there's a disk for the dashboard too. Anyone having any luck with that?

Be careful with that, it is the most permanent glue I've ever seen.