Stripped Rear Axle Pinch Bolt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
I seem to have learned the hard way a couple of times since owning my FJR that exceeding manufacturer specifications can lead to unintended consequences.....he says with a wry smile.

Yes, I learned the hard way that if you try and bolt on a Pelican case with three bolts you can crack your subframe. And I learned how to fix it better than new.

Well, my most recent one fits in squarely in the Boy-Was-I Stupid-But-Don't-Tell-Anybody-About-It category. Sometime early last year I replaced a rear tire and must have forgotten to torque my rear axle pinch bolt properly. The effect of which is an "Oh shit!" moment when you notice some days....or weeks later.

MW204091b.JPG

And in my haste I rapidly went to the bolt bin, grabbed the best replacement 8x35mm galvanize bolt I could find, and then torqued it with my precision German calibrated wrist to "Guttentight".

Of course it stiffens nicely and as I give it that last 1/8 of a turn it goes limp. Limp as in I-Just-Stripped-The-Threads limp.

Damn.

What torque was it supposed to be? 11 ft. lbs.? Yeah, I definitely tried more than that.

Damn again.

So, I turn a bit more and torque it down to that point I know it won't skip again and call it "Close Enough". I have a rally to go to....

I've gone about a year now....including multiple rallies....multiple rear tires looking at the rear end occasionally hoping it would give me a warning sign without catastrophically failing. It's actually amazing how I could easily forget about it and suddenly remember it as I entered a stiff turn that would push on the rear assembly. Was it meant to just hold the axle bolt still or also act as a structural piece of that thingie called a rear swingarm?

Yes, yes, you should mock me at this point.

Hopefully, I can redeem myself a bit though. Talking with Warchild's officemate one day he shared his similar stories of broken bolts in mini-stock racing and that he would just change things to studs.

I looked at him somewhat blankly. It sounded very technical like "o-ringin' a head" or "portin' and polishin'" and something a NASCAR team would have to do at a machine shop.

However, it was a very simple concept. Instead of a bolt that threads strip in a partially damaged nut.....take a headless bolt (aka a stud), slather it in Red Loctite, and then screw the stud into the thread. He said from experience (and logic I think) suggest the Loctite should hold the threads of the stud and the nut part of the axel better than my original bolt. And if it holds the business end would never have to be removed!

So, here's the setup: The bolt I was using is at the bottom. The "stud" I bought from a local fastener store for $1.06 is 8x40mm (you need a bit more than the original bolt). And enough of the stud then will stick out of the axle to put an aircraft nut on and torque to 11 ft./lbs.

MW204098b.JPG

With the stud in hand and lubing up the left end with some thread fasterner, putting on the aircraft nut on the other I then finger tighten the whole affair into the rear axle. Jiggling I don't get any play and let it set for the night. I need those little sticky Loctite elves to do their work.

MW204103b.JPG

The next day after it's all set I run it through 11 ft./lbs. (with a real torque wrench), loosen it, and make sure the stud stays in.

It does and I breathe a sigh of relief and thank my friend John.

One less thing that could kill me. :D

Maybe the eclipse just made me dense, but I've missed something. Did you tap for a stud bigger than the original bolt? And if you just tapped a bigger set of threads, why wouldn't just a bigger bolt work?

If you used the same size stud as the bolt it replaced (that would be the 8), and are assuming the thread damage was the bolt only, I'd still be a bit concerned about the stud holding its place in there. In other words, if the swingarm wouldn't hold a bolt, why would it hold a stud (Loc-tite notwithstanding)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the swingarm is hollow and the nut thread area is an insert....it's not solid material. Boring over for a larger bolt just didn't look very feesible....or it looked like a PITA that would easily be screwed up and involve having to remove and repair the whole swing arm or possible replacement.

And it's the nut area that has marginal threads--not the bolt. The securing force of loctite on threads of the new stud and the marginal nut is now signficantly stronger than it was before. It easily withstands 11 pounds of twisting force now where it didn't before.

A few bikes ago I had a pinch bolt go missing. Ever since, I've drilled the bolt, a spot on the swing-arm, and safety-wired it.

Any particular reason you didn't just install a Helicoil?

Aluminum threads are softer than steel bolts, but you knew that. :D Thus the low torque spec. Installing a steel Helicoil thread insert is a common method of retaining higher torque values, or preventing guttintight procedures from doing damage.

For those not familiar with Helicoil inserts, they are slightly larger than the original thread and require tapping with the special Helicoil, (STI), tap, then an insertion tool to install the insert. Once done, the original size bolt may again be used. The finished result is much stronger than the original threads and if need be, may be repaired again with a new insert if you really screw up in the future.

While this is a common thread repair method, and kits are sold in may hardware and auto parts stores that come with all needed items, it's also a very common OEM procedure for aluminum assemblies where the parts are expected to be removed multiple times for service during the item's lifetime and/or a higher torque value is desired than plain aluminum threads would support.

Studs are good on any aluminum assembly that is disassembled often-even when torqued properly, the threads wear a little each time to where they will eventually give.

Looks like a good idea to me. One suggestion: I can't see a washer under that new nut. A washer will allow the nut to turn freely and protect the back of the swingarm from the edges of the nut when tightening.

Any particular reason you didn't just install a Helicoil?
I looked and Helis on and a couple alternate types on a website. I even used one a long time ago in a spark plug case.

But, the deep recessed nature of this case, and unsure how much material there was with the nut made me nervous that I could make things worse. This method seemed least destructive and risky to me....and now I'm not screwing in and out of alumnium, but steel on steel.

Looks like a good idea to me. One suggestion: I can't see a washer under that new nut. A washer will allow the nut to turn freely and protect the back of the swingarm from the edges of the nut when tightening.
Fair point. I'll have to get a thin washer to have enough stud left. The 40mm length was cutting it a bit close.

I'll have to get a thin washer to have enough stud left. The 40mm length was cutting it a bit close.
Do you know anyone with the tools to punch a washer out of stainless shim stock?

If yes, you might try that.

If no, PM me. I'll tape one to a post card and mail it to ya

Do you know anyone with the tools to punch a washer out of stainless shim stock?
I have this spiffy new fastener place about 3/4 a mile from me that's on the way home from work each day. Thanks for the offer though.

Good solution - thanks for posting the idea of using studs.

I have used Loctite's Form-A-Thread Thread repair for those times when I was over-zealous with the torque. It's convenient, easy to carry and can be found in many automotive shops (even Home Depot). It's only drawback is that it is only for low torque situations (e.g. maximum of 82in-lbs for a 3/8in bolt).

See this link:

https://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-0...tUID=0000000I5Y