ABS Brake Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harveyfjr

Reaction score
I have a 2005 ABS version with 46,000 miles. Just got a big surprise today when braking in the rain, the back tire locked up and the ABS is not working. I have tested this before over the years and it was working fine until today. The indicator light is working fine and goes off when engine is running. No codes or any other warnings and the brakes work great. I went to my dealer to check this out and my mechanic rode my bike and confirmed the ABS is not working and he had no immediate idea as to what the problem is. I have an appointment this Wed. at my dealer to fix it. I hope it's covered under the extended warranty. Anyone have ideas as to what the problem is?

Did the warning lamp come on as or after the wheel was locked? I am not overly familiar with bike abs as I work with trucks. but if the wheel locked, no warning lamps or codes, and the abs light does do a system test at startup I would consider swapping out the module with a known good test ecu and try again. even if the modulator or motor was bad it should have tripped a code for those parts not responding.

Funny this popped up on the radar. I recently had the same thing happen on my '04 with 19,000 +.

When I took it to the shop they thought I was talking about the brake pads and said it was fine. When I clarified *again* it was the ABS, he took it for a ride and then a used one on their floor and said yes there was a problem, but they would have to 'try and figure out what it was'. I didn't want to pay $45 an hour for them to guess.

....and said yes there was a problem, but they would have to 'try and figure out what it was'. I didn't want to pay $45 an hour for them to guess.
That's a pretty cheap labor rate from what I know.....

They may have some experience with ABS -- maybe just not FJR? They may also have a shop manual with its diagnostic tests and a 'hot line' to a Yamaha service rep.?

One really valuable thing the shop has (that the individual doesn't) is: the ability to take things off the shelf (or, other bikes) to plug-in your bike if there's a question about an electrical component. The customer must buy an electrical item with a non-return rule (once taken out of the package). If that electrical part doesn't fix it -- it's still yours.

Maybe....try to nail-down the price for some specific/definite diagnostic work? (v/s open-ended time on the clock....)?

Maybe, too -- you're correct in your appraisal and another shop may be the answer..... :unsure:

Went to my dealer today to try to fix the problem. Tech concluded the hydrolic mainpump mounted on the right side is defective. The part is ordered, cost $950 and to my relief IS covered under my extended warranty :yahoo: . I have to bring my bike back in about 1 week, 3-4 hour job to change and I get a free brake fluid flush as well. I sure hope that solves the problem. Yamaha head tech office has never had a problem like this before. I have 46,000 miles on my bike and the front ABS works fine, just the back brake is effected.