Factory Recall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
When I took my bike in a month ago for a new tire, I was informed that my bike, an '05 ABS, has two factory recalls--something to do with the throttle idle sensor or some such, and the other to do with a stock trunk mount. So they ordered the parts and now invite me to come in at no expense.

Trouble is, this dealer is deep in the heart of San Francisco (and I prefer to heed Pat Hahn's advice about riding in cities--don't). Plus I gotta hoof it a long way to my office and back. Well, the girl in charge of service is a doll, but that still makes it tough.

What's this recall all about? Is it necessary? And why didn't my local dealer ever mention this to me?

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
:eek: If you don't do them, the world as you know it will end!

Seriously, the TPS takes care of some FI problems like stuttering at elevated engine temps (at least it cured mine) and the top box mount takes care of a potential rear sub-frame problem, IIRC.

Sucks that you didn’t get the notices in the mail from Yamaha…..so you could have taken it to the local dealer for the fixes….

The trunk recall entails adding a metal plate to the bottom of the trunk and replacing the mounting plate with a new plate that has reinforcement and extra support added to the lip that is next to the back of the passenger's seat. This is to prevent the rear latch portion of the trunk bottom from breaking. Bad if you lost your trunk with valuables in it, worse if you lost your passenger along with the trunk.

TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) have been experiencing early failure due to internal wear, resulting in a 100% recall for all Gen I FJRs. The TPS is locked to the throttle shaft and returns a voltage to the ECU that is proportional to the amount of throttle opening. The ECU uses the absolute position, and rate of change sensed by the TPS as some of the prime terms in the FI equation.

The sensor typically wears out in areas of common throttle duration such as idle and/or in the 3-4K rpm range. As the sensor material degrades it may fail outright causing the ECU to get bogus information, resulting in misfire, failure to start, stalling at idle or stalling when pulling away at light throttle. One member had the drop-out occur when he leaned over in a corner resulting in a low side. The other mode of sensor failure is when it works normally while cold, but as the sensor heats up it causes the wear spots go out of range resulting in the same failure symptoms as noted above.

I have never received a recall notice from Yamaha, but two other dealers have run my VIN and both told me about the recalls for my FJR. I had diagnosed and replaced my TPS months before the recall, but Good Dealer turned in my University Motor receipt and got me a full refund. My trunk is being upgraded concurrent with my engine rebuild.

Just had both done on my 2004 and no big deal. I did have the cracking of the base-plate for the top box and was glad to get the new one, especially for free.

Best part was getting the bike back cleaned and detailed and I didn't even have to do the work. That lasted till the first rain - later that day.

Bob

TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) have been experiencing early failure due to internal wear, resulting in a 100% recall for all Gen I FJRs. The TPS is locked to the throttle shaft and returns a voltage to the ECU that is proportional to the amount of throttle opening. The ECU uses the absolute position, and rate of change sensed by the TPS as some of the prime terms in the FI equation.
I don't think this recall is 100% of Gen I. As far as 2005, its only earlier models based on VIN number. The recall states the range, and I was also told similar when I called Yamaha to check what had been done on my bike previously as I bought used. I don't have the VIN range handy right now, but thought I would point out some 05's aren't included. I only know because my bike wasn't part of the recall.

Have you checked with your local dealer to see if they'll do it? If you don't have the Yamaha factory trunk, you don't have to worry about that one.

I don't think this recall is 100% of Gen I. As far as 2005, its only earlier models based on VIN number.
Ahh yes, you are correct! 100% up to '05, then by VIN.

As you get older the first thing to go is your memory, I can't remember what the other things are...

I may have to eat these words later but I have an '05 with the TPS recall and I never had it replaced and at 50,000 miles it runs like a top.
I believe Scoot made it to 100K miles. There is no certainty that every TPS will fail, but there was a high enough number across several Yamaha model lines that Yamaha did the right thing and issued a blanket recall.

[Friday] A man went to the top of a 10 story building and jumped. As he went past the open second floor window he was heard to say, "So far, so good...!" [/Friday]

Well, the girl in charge of service is a doll, but that still makes it tough.
Do the recalls - But I don't understand... Is she a tough doll, or what?

I mean; if she like, beats on you or something, I'd steer clear of that service dept.. Maybe you should have your wife drop/pickup your bike.