Shift Actuator problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob R

Reaction score
Riding to work last week, bike wouldn't shift up from 2nd gear, then shut down at light. No fun pushing bike out of traffic with rear wheel in gear. Fault code reads Sh 51 and won't start. I Am trying to follow the troubleshooting steps in the service manual. Any AE owners have simular problem?

Rob

Well Rob, here is a shot in the dark. There was a recall for some of the early Gen II AEs because of a faulty actuator rod bracket. When it fails it will cause a SH(it) 51 error code.

You can remove the left side cover and inspect the shift actuator to see if it looks displaced. The rod will be attached to the mount, but the mount won't be attached to anything.

If you haven't already had the work done or haven't received a recall notice for this mounting bracket, you may want to shortcut the troubleshooting and call your dealer. Have your VIN ready and have them check to see if you should have been part of the recall.

¡Buena suerte!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob,

I've had this problem. Do as Ionbeam said.

Under warranty, Yamaha replaced the sub-frame assembly. The shift accuator mounting bracket snapped off the sub-frame (it was only held by two tack welds).

It's probably a safe assumption that this is also now your problem. Less likely it could be hydraulics or the shift accuator.

This problem, as far as I know, is the only problem the AE has had with the electric shifter.

I had a problem like that once, I can't remember what the fault code was. But the problem was that the idle had crept higher, like about 1300, once I turned it back to 1100 everything was fine.

I can't say I was lucky enough to have a code I could read when mine shut down, but I did find something out when mine wouldn't start nor shift out of gear and I had to put it on a trailer so I could get it to a shop for warranty work. The very shifter actuator the others are speaking of can be moved by hand to neutral if need be. I found if I took the actuator and clicked it down all of the way by hand until it stopped, this was neutral. I was then able to push the bike up the ramps and get it on the trailer, if I didn't get the bike into the neutral position as you have already found out, there was no way this was going to happen.

The weirdest thing about my problem was the heated handgrip wiring on the right hand side (throttle side) got all twisted up inside of the throttle housing and eventually shorted out (according to the tech that worked on the bike). I always had a problem with the throttle not returning to the zero or off position when I released it, I suppose this is why it wouldn't. But when the wire finally hit a ground it blew the signaling fuse, and when that happened the bike wouldn't shift and wouldn't re-start after it was shut down.

I will say this about moving the actuator by hand though. If this signaling fuse is blown and the bike won't shift, even if the bike is running or you finally get the bike running, DO NOT MOVE THE ACTUATOR! I have been told this will launch the bike forward and may cause INJURY to you, OR DAMAGE to the bike. Most think this bike is a automatic, it's not! The clutch is really controlled by a computer, so if you by-pass the safety design of the computer and force the transmission into gear while there is either no fuse in the signaling fuse socket or that fuse is blown, the bike will definately launch forward if the bike is running. So never use the actuator manually unless your bike is not running and the ignition key is turned off, and you need to move it safely to the side of the road or put it on a trailer.

The weirdest thing about my problem was the heated handgrip wiring on the right hand side (throttle side) got all twisted up inside of the throttle housing and eventually shorted out (according to the tech that worked on the bike).

I remember reading early on when I first got my AE in this forum that the Auto Clutch shares fuse with the Heated Grips. I just dont get why they would take such an important thing as the Clutch and not give it its own, dedicated circuit. I believe that if you blow that fuse just simply replacing it won't get you back on the road. Its always in the back of my mind and I always turn off my heated grips so as not to have the additional load on that fuse when I turn the key on. Not sure if that actually does anything but it gives me some piece of mind.

Thanks for the heads up on what to look at which saved me time. The shift actuator still attached to the bracket appears to have broken off from from the attachment points.

I called the Yamaha Service Division and they confirmed my actuator bracket needed to be replaced for a sturdier mounting. Tomorrow am Calling local Yamaha dealer to order the part and schedule repair. I did try following service manual directions putting bike on center stand, rotating wheel when manually shifting actuator to shift to neutral but not working. Glad I kept bike inside my trailer- winching a heavy bike with wheel locked is not easy.

Thanks again for FJR forum support.

Rob R

After selecting the closest Yamaha Dealer in Fort Pierce, Fl, I informed the service dept that the actuator broke off from the

frame which I viewed after removing the cover. ( thanks for tip Ionbeam). The dealer informed me the part would take a week to order along with the ECU upgrade. I informed them when speaking to Yamaha Customer Relations the parts would ship 5 days maxium. I called dealer two weeks later- part is on back order, would take more time. Another few calls to Yamaha could not confirm what was holdup with the parts. Yamaha would not ship parts to me to install.

Monday, April 7 dealer called me to schedule install of parts. I also ordered new front tire. Today (Apr 15) I took off of work to trailer the bike to dealer service. They said would take about 3 hours which I intended to pick up same day. An hour after I dropped bike off they called to inform me that the actuator had broken off of the bracket and they would need to order the parts. You guessed it - Can you believe the parts have to be shipped all the way from Japan? Parts are on backorder. Right now am just scratching my head. Another call to Yamaha customer service 1800-962-7926 was no help since the privious two reps I talked to weren't in. (Jim/Matt). Who on earth would buy a cycle from a dealer like this?

Follow up to last post - I picked up bike from dealer and had positive talk with the service manager. He simply explained to me that he has no control how long Yamaha ships parts to dealer as well as ordering additional part (frame sub-assembly) caused by shift actuator failure without his mechanic confirming. Hopefully the part will arrive sooner then a few weeks.

Unfortunately, they can't order the warranty parts until they determine the issue, regardless of your examination and expertise. Plus, the repair is rare enough that they don't have the parts and must wait for the "slow boat".

You have to wait because their mechanic didn't check "everything". That sucks, but Yamaha didn't have the parts, anyway. At least the bike will be repaired under warranty and you will get the upgraded bracket and ECU.

Like you, we all love to ride and hate to wait!

I am still waiting for the AE shift actuator/ subframe assembly to be repaired. After contacting local dealer in mid March, I am still waiting for my 2006 AE to get the recall repair. I have been in contact with Yamaha service on a weekly basis.

What is a reasonable amount of time that one should wait for dealer to fix as well as Yamaha to ship the parts needed? How long should one wait for this repair? Am I entitled to some compensation from Yamaha for non-use of a year and half old bike?

I did buy the FJR for transportation using less fuel then my cargo Ford van (35 gallon tank).

Any advice from forum members would be greatly appreciated.

Rob R

I am still waiting for the AE shift actuator/ subframe assembly to be repaired. After contacting local dealer in mid March, I am still waiting for my 2006 AE to get the recall repair. I have been in contact with Yamaha service on a weekly basis.
What is a reasonable amount of time that one should wait for dealer to fix as well as Yamaha to ship the parts needed? How long should one wait for this repair? Am I entitled to some compensation from Yamaha for non-use of a year and half old bike?

I did buy the FJR for transportation using less fuel then my cargo Ford van (35 gallon tank).

Any advice from forum members would be greatly appreciated.

Rob R
I dealt witht he back ordered parts as well, it quite frankly sucks....I tried to get some stuff from them and when it was all said and done i think i got a 100 credit at the yama dealer of my choice to use for what ever.... You may try that, just ask them.... yeah that is one slow boat they have...........

:angry2:

More than one owner has gone parts hunting on his own dime when Yammi/dealer was slow. Successfully I might add, but not always. Beats sitting and waiting, might as well use the time you would be riding to try and find a dealer with the stuff.

Yesterday I returned Rob R's PM with a source for used (salvage) brackets. If it works out for Rob, he may want to share the contact info and the experience with the collective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up bike May 24. Having the actuator bracket break off of sub- assembly, dealer that I choose to do repair was pathetic. I guess I can just enjoy my FJR and put behind.

Yamaha Service rep granted me a $ 250. credit toward any Yamaha dealer. I picked out a Joe Rocket Yamaha Blitz Jacket. Bike runs great and happy with new Z6 front tire.

Thanks for members advice.