2008 Stalling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlueStreak

Reaction score
Well just got back form a 20 mile short ride on my 08 with about 25 miles on it. I stopped for gas, put in about 2 gallons of 89, started the bike and then when I revved it up/gave it a throttle blip to about 3000 RPM the bike stalled. I restarted and it did it again. Restarted and it did it again. If I just rolled on the throttle it was find. I was stopped for no more than 2 or 3 mins.

I got home and shut the bike off, waited a min. and restarted it then gave the throttle a little blip and it stalled again.

Any ideas guys??

Waaaay too new for this kinda stuff to be happening...back to the dealer she/he goes buddy. Prolly some errant ecu glitch..or a pinched fuel overflow tube...or...or...take it back. Sorry but thats the best I can offer... Best of luck and let us know, could help somebody in the future.

Bobby

The idle on the Gen1 bikes is on the right side about midway up on the fairing in the break thats there, its a little silver knob..not sure about Gen2 though..but if your idle is at 110 that aint the problem. Take her back to the dealer. Good luck.

Blessings,

Bobby

Or, you could just stop blipping the flipping scoot....what do you think it is? ; a harley?

I just tried it again with the bike a little colder, 3 bars rather than 4 and it seems fine. It did even stall whe I got back form the ride and a quick shut down when I just turned the throttle??

I will give it more miles and see what develops.

I just got mine back from the dealer for stalling as well. It would quit when engaging the clutch at low speeds - say when downshifting when coming to a stop. Here and other places, folks alluded to this occurring with the idle set in the lower range, nearer to 1000 than 1100. Dealer set the idle nearer to 1100 and I've only ridden it home from there - nasty rain keeping the beast in the garage - no issues on the way home, but I don't know if it's fixed yet. I'll update. Of interest, the dealer indicated this as a problem because the factory sets the fuel in the lean range at low RPM for emissions. This makes some sense when you think about the symptoms you're having. If the injection isn't responding with a blast of fuel when you open the throttle, it will exacerbate the lean condition when the throttle opens and the engine will quit. So, this absolutely sounds like a dealer issue. Probably a minor adjustment - but still a dealer issue.

Well, it just happened again. I took the bike for a 20 mile ride got it full warm. The idle is about 1000.

Saread, How high did the Delaer raise the idle?

It seems like when I blip the throttle, the engine is starving for fuel.

Moved it from just over 1000 to just under 1100. Mine would quit when winding down to idle with the cluch in. We'll see if it's fixed. Your thing actually sounds like something else. I think I'd check the computer to see if there's a code.

Take your '08 to your dealer, it's under warranty. At the very least you will have documented the problem with the dealer in case of any future problems.

saread, [SIZE=12pt]JUST SAY NO TO CRACK[/SIZE]

av-13880.jpg

Don't you just love it that guys with no help alway's have to chime in. :rolleyes:

VTXEDFJR

Well just got back form a 20 mile short ride on my 08 with about 25 miles on it. I stopped for gas, put in about 2 gallons of 89, started the bike and then when I revved it up/gave it a throttle blip to about 3000 RPM the bike stalled. I restarted and it did it again. Restarted and it did it again. If I just rolled on the throttle it was find. I was stopped for no more than 2 or 3 mins.
I got home and shut the bike off, waited a min. and restarted it then gave the throttle a little blip and it stalled again.

Any ideas guys??
I just purchased my new 2008 1300A. After browsing through the owner's manual, I came away with the impression that the bike took only 87.

Well, it just happened again. I took the bike for a 20 mile ride got it full warm. The idle is about 1000.
Saread, How high did the Delaer raise the idle?

It seems like when I blip the throttle, the engine is starving for fuel.

Only because it's not Friday: Idle Adjustment Thread

But, since it's 20 minutes till Thursday: The "Search" feature works!

I have an 08 that just hit 600 miles. Same problem with warm starts then getting into the throttle. A little different scenario for me. In heavy traffic or at loooong lights (they hold several minutes here), I turn the bike off. No need to sit there in idle and watch the temp gauge rise. Start the bike back up, roll into the throttle in a normal fashion (not blip) and it just dies. Idle is right at 1,000. Add another to the list. Back to the dealer she goes.