Where to get a ticker diagnosed in Pheonix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
My '03 is sitting in Mesa (long story) but I will be heading down there end of the month to get it. I figure there must be dealers in the area who are familiar with the ticker problem, have diagnosed and repaired it. Mine has been ticking since 17,000 miles. Brought it to the dealer in 2004 and insisted they check valve clearances. They reported everything hunky dory and "oh, they all do that." Few or no one understood the problem at that time and it didn't seem to affect performance. I didn't become aware of the ubiquitousness of the bad valve guides until 2006 when I joined this forum. By then I started reading that Yamaha was doing the repairs more willingly and for free as the prevalence became known, so I didn't sweat need of immediate repair. Seems at the end of last season, with 44,000 miles, I may have been a little down on the usual prodigious power. So, since the machine is currently located where there must be high-volume, experienced and competent dealers, I'd like a diagnosis there and would like a forum recommendation as to good dealers to contact.

I appreciate anyone's help.

Big Sky

Don't know of any out thataway but mine has ticked on for three years and it isn't a "ticker" just normal noise. Listen to the sound bites here, it's a definitely different sound than what I thought it was.

:jester: