Less than 2000 miles and the engine has to be cracked open.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spridal

Reaction score
As some of you may know my 07 has been suffering from over heating issues for the last few weeks. The dealer has flushed and replaced the cooling fluid, replaced the radiator cap and now it looks like Yamaha wants them to replace the head gasket. I am very uncomfortable about having to open up the engine after less than 2000 miles.

If the problem really is the gasket I can only question what other issues are lurking in the engine. My first thought was to ask Yamaha to buy back the bike but the dealer does not think that Yamaha would do that. I am now thinking I will sell the bike after the repairs have been made and use to proceeds to purchase an 08. Do you guys think I'm over reacting? Would you stay the course with the 07 or move on?

Depends on what you can tolerate financially because you're going to take a hit on the trade in. But if it makes you feel better about the bike, do it. Besides, black is WAY cooler than that gay red color ;)

FWIW, my then low mileage FJR had it's head removed. I too was concerned about the 'virgin' engine being violated and had thoughts of selling. Now, at approx 55k, with no other problems, I don't even think about it. I'd keep it, ASSUMING you have a competent tech at the local dealer.

[SIZE=12pt]Oh no!!![/SIZE] :eek:

I've had the same thoughts. Yamaha had to take the head off my FJR. Not only to replace the gasket, but new head bolts AAAAANNNNNDDDD they had to replace the valve guides!

Shucky-darn, heck and pshaw.....I wonder if I should sell it and buy another?

Okay....I'll put my wry humor aside....though it will be difficult.

It seems you have the 1 in 10,000 that has this issue. IF they can repair it under warranty, isn't that what warranties are for and why manufacturers honor them? Suppose this repairs the problem AND they also replace the thermostat and any other questionable part they find (water pump impeller?) and the bike is perfect after that. Aren't they repairing a factory defect? Isn't that what you want? By the same guys who did the uncrating and pre-delivery assembly? Work guaranteed?

While I wouldn't be extremely pleased that my vehicle wasn't perfect "as delivered", I'd ride it!

My first Concours in 99 had a defective cylinder that showed up after the second day of ownership and they gave me another bike.

My 03 FJR was a ticker and was repaired by the dealer at 24k. 35k later it runs just fine. I wouldn't worry a bit about the repair and what if you replace it with one that is worse?? :)

Agree with most of what's been said - fix it & ride. Bummer 1 in 10000, but again, thats why they warranty. I would expect many trouble free miles after the fix. The FJR is such a sweet, versatile ride.

FWIW, my then low mileage FJR had it's head removed. I too was concerned about the 'virgin' engine being violated and had thoughts of selling. Now, at approx 55k, with no other problems, I don't even think about it. I'd keep it, ASSUMING you have a competent tech at the local dealer.
A friend of mine had similar problems with a "virgin engine" he had it scrapped and his "virgin" very quickly turned into a :D "common ore"

As some of you may know my 07 has been suffering from over heating issues for the last few weeks. The dealer has flushed and replaced the cooling fluid, replaced the radiator cap and now it looks like Yamaha wants them to replace the head gasket. I am very uncomfortable about having to open up the engine after less than 2000 miles.
If the problem really is the gasket I can only question what other issues are lurking in the engine. My first thought was to ask Yamaha to buy back the bike but the dealer does not think that Yamaha would do that. I am now thinking I will sell the bike after the repairs have been made and use to proceeds to purchase an 08. Do you guys think I'm over reacting? Would you stay the course with the 07 or move on?
If it's warranty work that's not going to cost you any money, why not let them try to figure out exactly what is wrong. If the problem persists then you will have recourse under the lemon law.

Trading it in without the fix is a uber bad deal. You'll take a big style hit on the trade in.

I would let them fix it. See if the fix works. If it works great, if not start talking about the lemon law.

I had a full refund after a missfire issue on an 06. This came from the dealer NOT Yamaha who had the bike back to their headquaters and returned it with a clean bill of health....it was no different. The dealer recognised this and gave me my money back. After publicising this on this forum and one other, another Brit 06 owner did the same.

I doubt that you will get Yamaha to comply with anything other than their obligations, from what I have seen they don't do 'good will'.

I would accept the repair and run the bike for a couple of years watching it closely. If the problem persists then go back. After a couple of years riding, if nothing else goes wrong then your conscience is clear when you sell.

I would keep a log of all contact with you and the dealer, and get a written report about his findings when he strips it re the state of the head. Might be an idea to ask to see the head yourself or take someone along who knows what they are looking at.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Yamaha wants them to replace the head gasket.
It would be helpfull to know the 'diagnosis' -- are they just guessing or do they have other 'info' that tells them there's a known defect with head gaskets?

I am very uncomfortable about having to open up the engine after less than 2000 miles.
I guess you'll have to deal with that -- I've seen guys who just can't tolerate anything that's had major work (and get rid of it no matter what the result).

If the problem really is the gasket I can only question what other issues are lurking in the engine.
If they find a faulty component (head gasket) -- end of story, imo.

Do you guys think I'm over reacting? Would you stay the course with the 07 or move on?
I guess it depends on how things develope -- going forward.

My S.O. once bought a new bike that had a problem no one knew about -- even her. The temp. gauge read hotter than it should -- but since the bike was new to her (she didn't know that the needle position was higher than it should be) and no one else saw the gauge; it continued to run hotter than normal for a long time. Eventually, it started to have some oil consumption. Her dealer (of course, had never seen or heard of anything like that) agreed to disassemble the engine and inspect for probable causes. Guess what -- there was a problem -- a piece of aluminum "flash" was found blocking a coolant passage in the head. The bike received a complete (no cost) engine overhaul at the dealership and she enjoyed it for many years and tens of thousands of miles afterward.

Having been through a similar situation with an 'almost' new car, I can understand the worry/concern. Like others here I look back on it and laugh but at the time it was no laughing matter when you have spent that much money and feel like you have a potential lemon....much elss your concerns over resale value.

Each person is different....I finally came to the realization that I was going to take a hit on the sale, I liked the car to begin with and now 5 yrs, 46k miles later I still like it. Mechanically, you will be (should be) fine after the repair....you still have a warranty for the rest of the year and if you dont already have it, perhaps you can talk Yamaha into providing you with a YES warrnty to ease your concerns. My vote is repair and ride it but like I said, its an individuals decision based on their ability to accept uncertinty and financial ability to simply sell the bike and most likely take a hit to get a new '08.

If you are uncomfortable with the repair, you will lose less money by buying an extended warranty over trading in for a new sickle, and you will have the warranty. On the other hand, since the problem has been documented any problems stemming from it should be covered without an extended warranty.

I would be more concerned about the diagnosis myself. If the head gasket is leaking where is that fluid going? There should be some other indications if that were the problem.

Spridal;

You never mention if this is under warranty. If so it shouldn't be a big issue if they solve the problem. If not and this persists, I believe they must honor fixing the original problem while it was under warranty.

Also if it will make you feel better, can you still purchase the optional extended warranty for a few more years? If so that could help plus make it more attractive if you sell it with time left on the warranty.

Let us know what you do.

Good luck.

Depends on what you can tolerate financially because you're going to take a hit on the trade in. But if it makes you feel better about the bike, do it. Besides, black is WAY cooler than that gay red color ;)
Black is not a colour. It's an absence of colour. Gimme the black cherry anytime.

No big deal. Let 'em do it put 'er all back together. They aren't really cracking the engine open (splitting the cases). They're just pulling the head and replacing the gasket. It really isn't that big of a deal.

A few things:

1) MAKE SURE THEY ORDER NEW HEAD BOLTS - THEY AREN'T REUSABLE!!!!!

2) Ask them if they're going to check the valve clearance while it's apart. Shouldn't be too far off if the factory set them right.

3) Did they check/replace the thermostat?

How long have you had the bike?

How many days has it been at the shop while they do diagnostics?

Google has produced conflicting remarks regarding Lemon Law for California. Some places say motorcycles are excluded and some say only motorcycles that are not registered and are, therefore, for off road use only. Anyone here know what's up?

Latest posts