Error Code 24

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fairlaner

The Bartender Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok just got off the phone with Skooter and i know this has kinda been discussed before, But not this exact problem.

So I currently have Error Code 24 on an 05, My problem is that i have a holeshot header on the bike with no place for the O2 sensor, I tried just plugging in the sensor and running the bike for the required time but that did not work.

Do you guys think it will work if i plug the O2 sensor into a second bike running at the same RPM as mine ?

And if so is the sensor on an 06 the same size as an 05?

Thanks

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard,

Take a run up tomorrow. My bike is torn apart, but your welcome to leech off my O2 sensor. Bring the LWA/D DVD's. :)

Richard,
Take a run up tomorrow. My bike is torn apart, but your welcome to leech off my O2 sensor. Bring the LWA/D DVD's. :)
Thanks Tim that might be a plan for next weekend but right now i have the forks off for new seals.

will let you know

R

Richard,
Thanks Tim that might be a plan for next weekend but right now i have the forks off for new seals.

will let you know

R
Check. Stay in touch, mine might be back together faster than yours! :lol:

Richard,

will let you know

R
Check. Stay in touch, mine might be back together faster than yours! :lol:
What are you doing with it???

R
I believe he's replacing the light bulbs. :rolleyes:

Really.

oh right that makes sense...

I was in front of the one eyed monster most of last weekend. :D

R

FWIW, Gen I -- The O2 sensor receives a precise 5 vdc reference voltage from the ECU on the Black/Blue wire. This reference voltage is shared with most other sensors including the TPS. The body of the O2 sensor should be grounded by the exhaust system. When up to operating temperature the O2 sensor will produce an electromotive force of ~0.90 to 1.00 volts on the Gray/Green wire. The voltage will vary rapidly and may cause your meter reading to flicker, but it should be reading in the range of 1 vdc. The O2 signal is always present, software tells the ECU when to read the sensor.

Things you can check for are:

• 5 volts on the Black/Blue wire
  • With the engine hot, and running, measure the voltage from the metal body of the O2 sensor to engine ground, this should be very close to 0.00 volts. If higher it reads much higher it means that there is electrical resistance between the O2 sensor body and the exhaust system. Loosen and retighten the O2 sensor.
  • When up to operating temp. the Gray/Green wire should have more than 0.00 volts and much less than 5.00 volts; else the O2 has failed.
  • With the ignition off, ohm from the O2 sensor Black/Blue wire to the ECU connector; ohm the Gray/Green wire from the O2 to the ECU connector. All readings should be <50 ohms (ideally 0 ohms, but in the real world you won't see this).
These tests should only be done with a Digital Multi-Meter, not a needle movement meter and NEVER with a test light -- damage to the ECU may result.

FWIW, Gen I -- The O2 sensor receives a precise 5 vdc reference voltage from the ECU on the Black/Blue wire.
The REAL issue with Fairlaner's bike is that he doesn't have a connected 02 sensor. He has a Holeshot header system, so there is no port to attach the sensor and plug it in.

oh right that makes sense...I was in front of the one eyed monster most of last weekend. :D

R
Richard, you gotta read this!!!

Once you stop laughing and crying...you can add an appropriate remark.
I did read that this morning and i guess it sucks to be Tim right now, not sure who's bike will be back together first...

I guess we were hard on the bikes in DV last weekend :blink:

R

FWIW, Gen I -- The O2 sensor receives a precise 5 vdc reference voltage from the ECU on the Black/Blue wire.
The REAL issue with Fairlaner's bike is that he doesn't have a connected 02 sensor. He has a Holeshot header system, so there is no port to attach the sensor and plug it in.
[Fixed]

Wellalrightynow, I get an F in reading :p

It could simply be that residue from washing, road spooge, etc. has gotten into the open O2 connector shell. Maybe just washing the open O2 harness connector will kill the Code 24 once the connector dries.

[/fixed]

:)

Wellalrightynow, I get an F in reading :p The poor man's O2 simulator. I show 10% parts but you can use anything better (5%; 1%).

O2Simulator.jpg

The ECU is getting some kind of floating voltage on the Gray/Green wire that it doesn't like. It could simply be that residue from washing, road spooge, etc. has gotten into the open O2 connector shell. Maybe just washing the open O2 harness connector will kill the light once it dries. A floating voltage is most likely being picked up in the long parallel wire runs in the harness. The O2 sim that I'm suggesting will put ~1.0 volts at 40 micro-amps on the ECU signal wire and that should be good enough to fake out the ECU and not harm anything.
ok good, that went way over my head.

R