can a fork be straightened??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattster31

Reaction score
I know....................my bike is falling apart :-((

My left fork has a slight bend. When I rotate it in the triple clamp it moves around in a circle at the lower leg by approx 1'.

I am sure it's bend is just below the triple clamp as that's where they usually do, but I am curious if this can be straightened out properly.

I have never tried it.........can it be done at home?? or should I take it in to a shop?? Or just pay the $100 for a new inner slider??

Thanks in advance.

Matt

I know....................my bike is falling apart :-((
My left fork has a slight bend. When I rotate it in the triple clamp it moves around in a circle at the lower leg by approx 1'.

I am sure it's bend is just below the triple clamp as that's where they usually do, but I am curious if this can be straightened out properly.

I have never tried it.........can it be done at home?? or should I take it in to a shop?? Or just pay the $100 for a new inner slider??

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Take it to a good suspension shop, and they can straighten it right out. Shouldn't cost near as much as a new upper tube.

I had an associate years ago have a get off that bent his tube(s). Removed, the total error was about 3/8"(from what I remember) when the two tubes were lined up like (). Got them back in a few days with about 1/32"+ of error. Don't know if that's too much, but I was impressed that it could be done.

I had an associate years ago have a get off that bent his tube(s). Removed, the total error was about 3/8"(from what I remember) when the two tubes were lined up like (). Got them back in a few days with about 1/32"+ of error. Don't know if that's too much, but I was impressed that it could be done.
I knew a girl who had her tubes tied. She didn't think it was an error at all. :yahoo:

Way back in the 70s I bought a used BMW and found it had a bent fork tube. I ordered a set from Forking by Frank and they worked okay but the quality of the chrome finish was not as good as the BMW and the forks by Frank had more stiction with a rougher rided. I had the local shop straighten the original tube and ended up using the original straightened tube for another 40,000 miles.

Moral of the story. I don't know if it is safe, but it was for me, and not all fork tubes are equal in quality. If you get a cheaper fork tube to save money maybe you wil get a cheap fork tube :rolleyes:

It can be done. It's actually fun. You need a press and 2 V blocks. You would be amazed at how much force is needed to correct.

I bent the forks on my old TT 225 when I was a kid. My dad took them to work and had them straightened on a press. I think he said it took around 30,000 lb's to get them to move. Worked for that 3 years I had it after that. They took a pounding off-roading and never went out of shape again.

I would recommend you talk to Lee @ Traxxion Dynamics. He's a member on the FZ!OA online forum & his knowledge & customer service are outstanding. He set up new suspension on my FZ1 & also my 06 FJR & has improved the ride characteristics of both bikes immensely. He's got a Gen 1 FJR also. Hope that helps ya some. Bent fork tubes can be remedied sometimes.

UPDATE......

So after looking into straightening my fork, I just went and bought a new slider tube (OEM). The best deal I could find up in Canada for having it straightened was about $70. Now.....to do it properly you need to have the slider removed anyways, and since a new one was only $90...............well it was a no brainer. I'll install new seals and bushings too. $125 complete. I will submit a photo play by play of how it's done for those who may be interested.

Thanks for everyones help though!!!

Matt

Last edited by a moderator: