Cutting out hot or cold

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thug

A shy retiring flower in a Thug's exterior
Reaction score
Hi Gang

For the first time since I've had my bike I have an issue. As stated before here I had a cutting out issue the other week Surge and cut out etc...Happened over a week end. Initially though ok water in the fuel but no had a few tanks since and still the same problem.

I though ok Change the TPS and had that done today but as I was leaving the town I had it done it surged and cut out ever more so than before it was like you were running out of fuel?...managed to get to the next town and filled it up and didn't miss a beat? all the way home?(about 40K's)

I'm thinking originally it was :

Kick stand switch so I lubed that and all ok as the stand was getting a little sticky when kicked up and when I engaged first gear it would Konk out now worries now all fixed there.

TPs? but that as of today is fixed.

Now I'm thinking:

Broken or intermittent electrical breakdown in plugs or leads?

Dirty fuel filter?

Dodgy ECU?

There are no warning lights at any time nor code errors....The tacho does not drop dramatically when it surges etc...and all dash icons are there. Runs 2 bars...

Any ideas??

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gang
For the first time since I've had my bike I have an issue. As stated before here I had a cutting out issue the other week Surge and cut out etc...Happened over a week end. Initially though ok water in the fuel but no had a few tanks since and still the same problem.

I though ok Change the TPS and had that done today but as I was leaving the town I had it done it surged and cut out ever more so than before it was like you were running out of fuel?...managed to get to the next town and filled it up and didn't miss a beat? all the way home?(about 40K's)

I'm thinking originally it was :

Kick stand switch so I lubed that and all ok as the stand was getting a little sticky when kicked up and when I engaged first gear it would Konk out now worries now all fixed there.

TPs? but that as of today is fixed.

Now I'm thinking:

Dirty fuel filter?

Dodgy ECU?

There are no warning lights at any time nor code errors....The tacho does not drop dramatically when it surges etc...and all dash icons are there. Runs 2 bars...

Any ideas??

Cheers
Had a similar experience on a Triumph several years ago.

Still sounds like fuel.

Where do you "normally" get fuel? choose another "normal" gas station and run through several tanks using their gas.

I was able to pinpoint exactly which gas station(s) created the propblem.

Hope this helps

Sport

Thug

A better description of the symptoms would be good.

After trying different gas I might get my service manual and go into diag mode and check all the pertinent sensor readings. I have run into (on other engines) sensors that are out of range, but not totally open or shorted so they won't trip a fault code. You want to check air temp, coolant temp, map , O2 sensor, etc. etc. You just want to see if they are reading and reacting correct.You said 2 bars were does it usually run ? Is temp seder correct ?

If that all looks good then I would verify a good quality and volume of fuel . You want to see clean, good volume, good pressure. I don't have the shop manual in front of me right now so get one and use it to see how to perform tests.

Good Luck A.C.

Now I'm thinking:

Dirty fuel filter?

Dodgy ECU?

Any ideas??

Cheers
Hey Thug-

The ECU shouldn't be a problem that goes away for 40 km after the fill-up. If the problem were this bad from the ECU, I'd expect it to have some fault codes.

Go for the easy stuff first. Lift the tank, change the fuel filter, make sure the fuel pump's putting out good flow. Check for soft spots in the fuel and vacuum lines. Easy enough to swap plugs while you're there but for the same reason as the ECU, they're probably not the issue.

Bob

Now I'm thinking:

Dirty fuel filter?

Dodgy ECU?

Any ideas??

Cheers
Hey Thug-

The ECU shouldn't be a problem that goes away for 40 km after the fill-up. If the problem were this bad from the ECU, I'd expect it to have some fault codes.

Go for the easy stuff first. Lift the tank, change the fuel filter, make sure the fuel pump's putting out good flow. Check for soft spots in the fuel and vacuum lines. Easy enough to swap plugs while you're there but for the same reason as the ECU, they're probably not the issue.

Bob
gunny

Another simple check, the tank vent. I've seen mud wasps plug them up. That might explain why it ran better after getting gas.

Art

Long distance diagnostics, whoopee!

Now I'm thinking:Broken or intermittent electrical breakdown in plugs or leads?

Dirty fuel filter?

Dodgy ECU?
The ECU is really doubtful, but do check to see that the connectors are securely seated.

The fuel filter is part of the pump assembly and is not serviceable (so therefore can't possibly be the problem ;) ) Fuel problems tend to cause sputtering, bogging, poor performance and/or hard starting. I don't think it is a fueling problem.

Dirty air filters tend to cause poor performance only at higher RPMs when the engine becomes too rich due to air starvation. Plugs will be sooty after a long high-speed run.

Rapid drop-outs and sudden death are hallmarks of electrical problems. Checking the side stand switch was a Good Thing. Changing the TPS was a Good Thing too. For some reason, the FJR seems to have susceptibility to plug & plug wire issues. I would suggest checking the plugs for color uniformity. Make sure the plug wires are fully into the plug boots; make sure the boots are fully down on the plugs. Um, while you are there, if you haven't changed the plugs in a while now's a good time. Plug & wire issues can contribute to the feel of surging.

Well, these are the fast easy things to check. Start simple; let us know how the basics are. If necessary we will chime in with more bizarre advanced troubleshooting ideas. :)

ThugA better description of the symptoms would be good.

After trying different gas I might get my service manual and go into diag mode and check all the pertinent sensor readings. I have run into (on other engines) sensors that are out of range, but not totally open or shorted so they won't trip a fault code. You want to check air temp, coolant temp, map , O2 sensor, etc. etc. You just want to see if they are reading and reacting correct.You said 2 bars were does it usually run ? Is temp seder correct ?

If that all looks good then I would verify a good quality and volume of fuel . You want to see clean, good volume, good pressure. I don't have the shop manual in front of me right now so get one and use it to see how to perform tests.

Good Luck A.C.
Yeah RR 2 bars is where it usually runs....I'l do some of your advice

Cheers

You might also double check the TPS. I seem to recall some getting the TPS done improperly at the shop. Here is a post on the proper settings.

Thug, dood, quit pissin' in the tank when no louves are available.. the surging problem will go away.. :rolleyes: