FJR or ST

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlang

Reaction score
Hello all, I have read tons of post on this and the ST site. Both very good and informative. Let me run my dilema by you all. I am interested in getting a bike (have not rode in 20 years). Primarily will be used for a daily commuter (15 miles one way - about half of it is interstate). Would also like to be able to ride with all the guys after work (i am a police officer - all the guys are HOGS (Harley owners)) I do not find Harleys that appealing (too much money for to little bike - all for name)There are a few (younger guys) with crotch rockets. I would also like to have the bike to handle the occasional overnighter or more if I choose.

I have looked at a lot of bikes....naked racers, crotch rockets and ST's. The ST's seem like they best fit what I want?? The only real contenders I found in this niche is the FJR, the ST and the new Concours. I think that I have ruled out the C14 (first model year and all), and am now down to the FJR and the ST. Dilemas............

Like I said earlier, primarily a daily commuter.....with the option of doing whatever I want (the nightly hour long jogs around town or the occasional overnighter).

I would appreciate your input/advice/oppinions. Thanks again guys.

From our friends at Google...for your reading pleasure:

FJR ST1300 comparo site:fjrforum.com

I seriously doubt anyone here can add to what has already been posted......

Both are great motorcycles. Buy the one that makes your heart want to sing! I bought my first FJR in Feb 2003, then waited until Aug for delivery. I still get a "rush" when seeing my bike in my garage. The FJR is the bike for me.

YMMV.

Love my feejer. It is at home on the slab and in the twisties of the socal coast. So far she has been to the ocean and then straight up to the Sierras. She handled beautifully in all conditions.

Read the camparo from MCN.

Know what you mean by the HOG people. MAN... I just smile and roll throttle baby.

Wait, you are johnny law. I ummmmmmm, ohhhhhhh,,,,eh....

Night officer.

Hello all, I have read tons of post on this and the ST site. Both very good and informative. Let me run my dilema by you all. I am interested in getting a bike (have not rode in 20 years). Primarily will be used for a daily commuter (15 miles one way - about half of it is interstate). Would also like to be able to ride with all the guys after work (i am a police officer - all the guys are HOGS (Harley owners)) I do not find Harleys that appealing (too much money for to little bike - all for name)There are a few (younger guys) with crotch rockets. I would also like to have the bike to handle the occasional overnighter or more if I choose.
I just caught the ....not riding for 20 years.

Either of these two bikes are a huge advance from anything you've rideen before. There are those who have returned to riding and started with an FJR or ST, but they are serious bikes and heavy.

1st) Take an MSF course.

2nd) Consider buying a used bike and getting reacquainted with riding before jumping on a new Sports Tourer.

The FJR and ST will outperform sport bikes of 20 years ago and a twist of your right wrist can cause the horizon to approach at an alarming rate. You should be prepared for that event. OTH, you might be the type who has a great deal of common sense and self-control. None of us can judge that.

Exactly the situation I was in. Haven't ridden but once a blue moon since college, had the chance to get a bike last summer. Actually thought I wanted a Gold Wing, because I had to justify it to the missus and needed 2-up capability. My brother found my bike for sale by a friend of his, I took a look and never looked back. My wife loves it, and will gear up for a ride whenever I ask her if she's ready to go.

My prior riding was always on someone else's bike: my brother's, a friend's, a roommate's, my stepson's, whatever. I "outgrew" bikes and didn't ride but once or twice a year after leaving college.

Damn, what a stupid thing to do!

As for the performance, I'm smart enough to stay within my bounds, and work into the bike. I took the MSF course, mostly to get out of the license riding test, but came away impressed that I got way more out of it than I expected.

I've been 8500 miles on the FJR since I bought it in June. One mishap, some gravel in Alabama put me down, but at low speed out of a turn. (Got new plastic from Progressive for it.)

As for the two bikes, I've never been on an ST, but everywhere they're compared, the ST comes up short in handling and performance next to the FJR. It's not a lousy bike at all, but it's not a Feej, either. You'd enjoy the hell out of either bike, and put your hog friends to shame (although they'll never admit it.)

Get the right gear, too, and protect your skin. Skin is important.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the concern. I am registered for the MSC in April (Fills up quick). I am/was used to quick throttle (road dirtbikes and enduros primarily). Really interested if the FJR fits into the daily commuter and short rides class. And of course any input is welcome. :blink: :dribble:

Test ride both bikes if you can. That's what I did. If you buy an ST without ever riding the FJR you will regret it once you realize your mistake. The ST has some decent qualities, but two words sum it up: Boring and Ugly.

Although I do a bit of touring and rallying, it's primarily a commuting bike for me. 45 miles one way, less than 15 on interstate on my usual route, the rest on very nice two lane country roads.

It's the perfect commuter for me. It handles both kinds of roads in all kinds of weather and offers just enough protection with the weather is nasty.

You'll probably want to plan on adding a top box to hold a laptop or briefcase. The side bags are nice for packing clothes and such but a bit of an odd shape. Some folks have shoehorned their laptops into the sidebags but I couldn't.

And believe folks when they say it's a totally different animal from anything you've been on before. Take your time with it, don't keep up with the sportbikes the first year, don't dust the Harleys the first week. ;)

I am a VINTAGE rider and have a 2006 FJR AE and a 1991 Honda ST 1100. Both are very wonderful bikes in every way. The difference between them is that the FJR does acceleration, topspeed, braking and steering quicker than the ST. I am not familiar with the ST 1300 but some that have owned both the ST 1100 and 1300 perfer the 1100. Good luck on your search.

Hey Squeezer I see you are from Central PA. Me too, sort of. South Central.. right on 81 at the MD line. My commute is on I-81 (heavy truck traffic) could take RT 11...nah. So you like it as a commuter? Dont wish for something smaller?

Test ride both bikes if you can. That's what I did. If you buy an ST without ever riding the FJR you will regret it once you realize your mistake. The ST has some decent qualities, but two words sum it up: Boring and Ugly.
And heavy . . .

Have you considered the Triumph ST? It is a 1050 cc, great handling, lightweight and probably a better transition since you haven't ridden in a long time. Just a thought.

Hey Squeezer I see you are from Central PA. Me too, sort of. South Central.. right on 81 at the MD line. My commute is on I-81 (heavy truck traffic) could take RT 11...nah. So you like it as a commuter? Dont wish for something smaller?

Oh, okay, down there around Greencastle? I live in State College and work in Altoona, so you probably have a sense of my commute. It's pretty much all rural from one place to the next. If I was commuting in an urban area, with more stop and go, maybe something smaller would be nice. And if I were shorter (34" inseam) with a lot of stop and go, I'd definitely want something smaller. It's pretty much open road for me, though, and this thing is just right. I could swear the engineers were thinking about the Alleghenies when they designed this thing.

And, now that I think about it, if you're going to ride with that I-81 traffic, you might appreciate the size. You're less likely to get kicked around by truck backwash.

Biased opinion here but the ST does weigh a bunch more & a bit more fairing. I just didn't feel right on the ST1300 & the FJR, well, It's frickin' amazing !

Greencastle, exactly. Looked at everything...leary of Triumph..no dealers any where near here (I dont believe). Thought or was influenced by friend, that Honda was king of quality, but after a lot of research, seems that with the honda being basically a 6 year old bike, and maybe a little to boring, the FJR might be the way to go, especially since i just read a comparo where the FJR won and the ST came in last (mind you they did not talk bad about he ST....just nothing new in awhile and lacking some of the more recent upgrades, and still most expensive. :dribble:

Having owned a ST1100 before my FJR I wouldn't say Honda's quality is any better and Honda seams real proud of their parts too. Get the FJR and new friends that don't ride Harley's cause you will get tried of waiting for them ;)

Keep your badge handy as you will need it when you open up the FJR. Good luck!

LOL! Well ofcourse i always have that. Does not work in VA though. Not that I would put myself in a position to use it..... :rolleyes:

Hello all, I have read tons of post on this and the ST site. Both very good and informative. Let me run my dilema by you all. I am interested in getting a bike (have not rode in 20 years). Primarily will be used for a daily commuter (15 miles one way - about half of it is interstate). Would also like to be able to ride with all the guys after work (i am a police officer - all the guys are HOGS (Harley owners)) I do not find Harleys that appealing (too much money for to little bike - all for name)There are a few (younger guys) with crotch rockets. I would also like to have the bike to handle the occasional overnighter or more if I choose. I have looked at a lot of bikes....naked racers, crotch rockets and ST's. The ST's seem like they best fit what I want?? The only real contenders I found in this niche is the FJR, the ST and the new Concours. I think that I have ruled out the C14 (first model year and all), and am now down to the FJR and the ST. Dilemas............

Like I said earlier, primarily a daily commuter.....with the option of doing whatever I want (the nightly hour long jogs around town or the occasional overnighter).

I would appreciate your input/advice/oppinions. Thanks again guys.
I found my self in a similar situation in 2004. I spent 86 - 04 without a bike after having rode for about 15 years previous to 1986. Needless to say that bikes had advanced greatly over that time period. I rented a Harley Road King while in Massachusetts and though overall enjoyed the experience, I was looking for something more my style of fun. The FJR has really fit the bill.

I would encourage you to set up a test ride of both bikes and see.

tiang, I commute on my FJR - 12 miles to the office. Occasionally I take the freeway and get stuck in stop and go. It's not terrible but in general stop and go on a bike - any bike - is going to be somewhere on the pleasure list above a recreational root canal. I personally think the best quality of the ST is the smoothness of the V4 motor. Everything else - power, handling, looks, lack of heat while sitting at a light in Summer, etc. - goes to the FJR. And as to Honda being the king of quality my co-worker who rides a 2004 Goldwing is very thankful he bought the extended warranty from Honda. He's had it in a dozen time for warranty work - broken windshield vent, seat that cracked, mute switch that sticks, trunk lid hinge screws falling out, etc. Not that Yamaha is necessarily any better, but I don't think they're any worse.

I wanted an FJR when I got my FZ1 4 years ago but the pre-order program put me off. Still, every time I saw one my heart longed for it. Go to a Honda dealer and Yamaha dealer and look at and sit on each bike. Then get the one that you really love - they're both fine bikes.