The Switch Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timalan

Reaction score
Today on the way home I stopped for gas. Put gas in. put key back in and turned it on. everything functioned but no fire. starter kept running and running.

I shut the key off. turned it back on .... it started and ran fine. With the switch problem there is nothing correct? so what happened to me?

Thanks.

Tim

I had this happen to me while attempting to fire up the bike while riding with a couple of friends. It turns out the the ignition switch was turned on but not turned completely into the detent position. When I turned the key off it didn't seem to feel like I was clicking off (because it wasn't totally "clicked" to the on position. I turned it on again and felt it click into position and everything was fine. I have read of this being the case with other owners as well. (What surprised me was the the starter was working fine the bike just wouldn't fire.)

Good Luck

Bill Hamilton

maybe that was it. It only happened the one time. this week and not before and not since.

Anybody else have an ignition key they can remove with the engine running?

I know it isn't supposed to be that way. Neither of my two other keys behave that way. But the one that has the most use and the most wear, I can turn the ignition on and then pull the key out.

Kinda handy when I need to access one of the saddlebags real quick.

Anybody else have an ignition key they can remove with the engine running?
I know it isn't supposed to be that way. Neither of my two other keys behave that way. But the one that has the most use and the most wear, I can turn the ignition on and then pull the key out.

Kinda handy when I need to access one of the saddlebags real quick.
No but, COOL, I want mine that way. Never fails start the bike and something in Saddlebags Or something needs to go in there. Haven't tried. I'll give it a good yank in a second. (the Key)

Sometimes it takes more then a second. Usually, by about 30 it's a done deal.