New mounting plate cracked

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeezer

Squirrelly Geezer
Reaction score
A guy over at s-t.n is reporting that his new mounting plate -- the upgraded replacement that Yam supplied last summer -- has cracked at the center mounting hole. He's posted pics here.

Has anyone else heard of the new mounting system failing?

I've seen cracks like that on other bikes when the rider far exceeded the recommended carrying weight. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the case here.

Too, for this luggage application, this plate should be fabricated from metal.... Givi learned this long, long ago. Folks aren't going to stick with any ridiculous 15lb max carrying weight; they are going to stuff that top-box with 30+ lbs of crap, as long as they can still force the lid to latch.

I've seen cracks like that on other bikes when the rider far exceeded the recommended carrying weight. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the case here.
Too, for this luggage application, this plate should be fabricated from metal.... Givi learned this long, long ago. Folks aren't going to stick with any ridiculous 15lb max carrying weight; they are going to stuff that top-box with 30+ lbs of crap, as long as they can still force the lid to latch.
Ha ha...you got that right!

Absolutely, and strap stuff on top as well. And then have a pillion leaning back against it for many hours at a time.

Last edited by a moderator: