Yamaha Top Bag cracking and failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
A few months ago I did the recall on my Yamaha top box. Part of the recall process was to carefully inspect the box itself for any signs of cracks and if found, replace the box itself. The balance of the recall involved adding a reinforcement plate to the bottom of the box, replacing the mounting plate etc. No cracks were found in my box at that time.

Last weekend I was on the first solo mountain weekend in a long while. At a mid-day stop the sun was shining just right to illuminate what appeared to be two similar hairline cracks just above the front "tongue" of the mounting flange. Sure 'nuf, the box was cracked almost identically on both sides.

Local dealership did not act like a stealership, acknowledged the problem, contacted Yamaha, and supposedly Yamaha has a replacement box on the way.

Moral of this story...

Even if you had a recall done on your Yami top box, check it periodically for signs of damage.

So will the new one be Cherry in color? I'm going to check mine tonight when I get home.

JW

So will the new one be Cherry in color? I'm going to check mine tonight when I get home.
JW
Yes, but unfortunately the old one was just repainted Black Cherry less than one month ago. I lose the new paint job and the reflective vinyl kit in the swap. Still better than losing the GF off the back when it breaks. Although, watching Scab try to dodge them both while Granny in the Crown Vic taps his six, would have made one hell of a video.