serviced the clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean33

Reaction score
well i finally did it. i was a little scared at first. But as soon as i got to taking the bolts out i was on a mission.

And when i finished there was nothing left over. That was the best feeling. I know it wasnt a engine overhaul but it was a start.

It started, No Noises . Was able to get in gear.Pulled the clutch in and it released :yahoo:

However, I did find something, The nut on the Gas tank bolt was gone. Does anyone know what size it is . ill just take it with me.

I did have the ECU changed out last month, do they(the Stealer) need to loosen that bolt.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Good on ya mate..

Give it a go. If you have issues or really bugger it up then you can take it to the Stealer.. (brakes not included in this statement)

I am assuming you mean the long bolt at the rear bottom of the gas tank that goes from right to left. They don't touch that for the ECU replacement. :rolleyes:

well i finally did it. i was a little scared at first. But as soon as i got to taking the bolts out i was on a mission. And when i finished there was nothing left over. That was the best feeling. I know it wasnt a engine overhaul but it was a start.

It started, No Noises . Was able to get in gear.Pulled the clutch in and it released :yahoo:
Congratulations! Good job!! :yahoo:

However, I did find something, The nut on the Gas tank bolt was gone. Does anyone know what size it is . ill just take it with me.
Mine "went missing" too. No problem as my local Ace Hardware has a good selection of metric fasteners. I took it with me and bought a "shoulder nut". When I installed it on the bike I but a dab of blue loctite on it, that way I can leave it a bit loose to facilitate raising the tank for throttle body synch, etc.

well i finally did it. i was a little scared at first. But as soon as i got to taking the bolts out i was on a mission. And when i finished there was nothing left over. That was the best feeling. I know it wasnt a engine overhaul but it was a start.

Congratulations! Good job!! :yahoo:

Mine "went missing" too. No problem as my local Ace Hardware has a good selection of metric fasteners. I took it with me and bought a "shoulder nut". When I installed it on the bike I but a dab of blue loctite on it, that way I can leave it a bit loose to facilitate raising the tank for throttle body synch, etc.

Ditto, I noticed mine was gone once too. (perhaps I didn't tighten it after a TB Sync), It's 13mm, standard thread pitch me thinks.

I did have the ECU changed out last month, do they(the Stealer) need to loosen that bolt.

Well i took it out today. no slip, thats what i was affraid might happen. it is such a joy to ride now. I can down shift from any speed. and the best part is that when i have to come to a stop, ie a traffic light with cars in front of me. there is no fighting. not as profound clunk into first. i actually can start it in gear without going for a short ride first. most of all i did it, nothing is scratched or broken. i even got the plastic on better than it was. im so happy :lol: if anyone out there thinks their 07 bike doesnt shift right do the clutch. i didnt even bleed it but i will anyway. dean.

P.s. would like to meet members in ct for a ride, and you can rest assured that if im behind you at a stop, i wont crash into you.

Well i took it out today. no slip, thats what i was affraid might happen. it is such a joy to ride now. I can down shift from any speed. and the best part is that when i have to come to a stop, ie a traffic light with cars in front of me. there is no fighting. not as profound clunk into first. i actually can start it in gear without going for a short ride first. most of all i did it, nothing is scratched or broken. i even got the plastic on better than it was. im so happy :lol: if anyone out there thinks their 07 bike doesnt shift right do the clutch. i didnt even bleed it but i will anyway. dean.

P.s. would like to meet members in ct for a ride, and you can rest assured that if im behind you at a stop, i wont crash into you.
dean,

i'm a little slow on the uptake, so pardon the question, but what did you do once you got it apart? soak the clutch plates?

thx,

dean

cincinnati

Yeah. i removed the plates, pryed them apart as they were stuck together. I cleaned them in gas (since that was all i had around)and a small nylon brush to get the gunk off. then over night in the old oil that i had just changed.I cleaned the inside parts with a rag dipped in gas and a screw driver. Then i put back together the next night after work. thats all i did and it is a joy to ride now. i love it .