How too...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
I am a stickler when it comes to saving money so I'd like to remove both wheels and take them in to have the tires replaced (will be buying components to change tires myself over the next year).

So what are you all doing to hold the bike steady whilest both wheels are off?

Thanks in advance.

Good question, I look forward to seeing some answers.

I do know that Pit Bull stand will not work on the front end due to no hole under the steering head. I think you could fabricate something but I thought that FeeJ's would have some trick goodie out on the market but I have not been able to find one.

I considered making a lift out of 2x4's that would set under the forks, but several factors such as weight of front end and lack of stability hold me back. I may just go to my local Harbor Freight and spend the $60 for a motorcycle lift...unless someone has a cheaper idea.

2x4 under the headers and a floor jack. I've heard it helps to have the centerstand on a 2x6 also, it gives a tad more height to remove the rear.

Myself, I pull the front, then lower the jack to get the extra height to pull the rear tire. The one thing to be aware of is the bike will be unstable with just the centerstand and a floor jack, so when you push on the rear to get the splines locked in, you might want to have a friend/SO stableize the bike a bit.

Sport;

Don't do the wood thingy. That's bad, you're right stability is not your friend using 4x4's.

I've thought of rigging something for my Pit Bull similar to what is needed for Ducati's 916 - 998's, it's a like a fork that straddles the lower triple clamp. I've also thought of using my old rear mobile stand and doing some kluge thing with that. I've just been too lazy right now. Maybe someone has a great option for this.

Good post, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have access to an overhead hook you can pull the front end up using your tie downs.

If you have access to an overhead hook you can pull the front end up using your tie downs.
+1 I have a overhead beam in the garage. Eye bolts and webbig noose. The stand looks nice and allows you to use the overhead beam to pull fork components, but in the meantime, this is cheap. BTW it does not take a lot to hold the front up.

FJRTech.com
read down about half way on this web page: Stand and remove both wheels
ftc-11.jpg

Now that looks do-able! The link that explains the hanger is bad, so does anybody have specs on how to build a 1/2" steel pipe hanger? Pretty basic construct, but I'm curious as whether the overhead cross bar is also 1/2" pipe, or is it 3/4" pipe? And how tall do you think the verticle pipes are...maybe 6'?

Both items, the pipe stand and the little fork adapter look very doable.. I have a similar stand to the DMP stand I'd just need the fork lift H/W. I still like the fork idea like the Duc's from Pit Bull too.

Ducati Pit Bull Fork Clicky

Thanks for the replies.

I hang from a cross beam on my covered porch (where I park my bike). Once I have the tire off I put a wooden box under the front forks (just in case). I have also used a wooden support that fits around the headers and onto either side of the engine (oil pan). dont have a pic but it is shaped like this:

__ /|\_ /|\___

except the center pole rises up from the diagonal bracingjust about an inch or so taller than the pan height (got to be careful not to make it too high or the bike will tip back on you). The spacing between the two rizers should be enough that your headers fit through. Then all you have to do is angle it in and on to the pan, lift the front and tap it into position (upright) with your foot . It's not as secure as hanging your bike but if you build it real sturdy and you dont have kids climbing on it it should be ok

Disclaimer: your on your own buddy :) it could fall over :(

Lifted mine similar to zzzzip except used a 2x6x24 under the headers and set it on jack stands.

Quick and easy, no problems.

Also, I used masking tape on the inside of my rims as to not scratch them when I took the calipers off.

Is this an option: Clicky ?
It would work for tires and brakes, but you'll need something else if you work on the forks, steering bearings, etc.

FJRTech.com
read down about half way on this web page: Stand and remove both wheels
https://www.fjrtech.com/images/suspension/ftc-11.jpg[ /img]

Now that looks do-able! The link is that explains the hanger is bad, so does anybody have specs on how to build a 1/2" steel pipe hanger? Pretty basic construct, but I'm curious as whether the overhead cross bar is also 1/2" pipe, or is it 3/4" pipe? And how tall do you think the verticle pipes are...maybe 6'?
Try this: <Link>

I am a stickler when it comes to saving money so I'd like to remove both wheels and take them in to have the tires replaced (will be buying components to change tires myself over the next year).

Thanks in advance.
You could ask someone that lives 30 minutes from you if you could borrow a Handy Industries front end stand :)

Yep, ZZZZIP has the easy cheep idea. 1st roll the rear tire up on a 2X4 as this makes it easier to get the center stand up on a 2X4 or 2X6. Next, and this is important, tie the center stand forward with tie wire or ratchet strap. What would happen if your floor jack leaked down during the night (look at the above picture). I just changed front tire on mine and my almost new Sears 2 ¼ ton floor jack leaked down over night. My center stand was tied forward tite and no problem. Got this idea from seeing wings, at a show, all with their center stands tied forward. And yep, my new 2 ½ ton jack doesn’t leak down- held car up with it overnight just to check (but still don't trust it). Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.
You could ask someone that lives 30 minutes from you if you could borrow a Handy Industries front end stand :)

It sure is nice to know I have neighbors who love me... :)

Thank you Randy for the offer, but I'm off to the hardware store to buy the 1" steel pipe needed to build a hanger. Thanks all for the great suggestions and links! Also, the tying of the centerstand is a great safety idea!

Of course, since I have the wheels off I'll also check the drive shaft splines and greese as necessary. Anything else to consider for a bike with 6,700 miles on her?