She starts!!! Finally!! This episode has ended!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
First, thank you to everyone who was helping. The sincerity of fellow members to assist me, and everyone else with problems, is positively awesome!

As you probably know I started two threads asking for help about my new 07 not starting:

07A Not Starting -

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry362808

07A Not Starting Part II -

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=100834

On Fri I talked with the service guy and he said, for the 3rd time, that it's most likely a connector, a wire that is cut or bent, or a wire grounding when it shouldn't be, or a wire that's not grounding when it should be. So I asked him of what would he do first if it was his bike. He said he'd look for a cut wire.

So yesterday we had beautiful weather in Evergreen, Co.... in the 50's. I pulled off the gas tank, fairings, and cowl for about the 7th time in the past 5 weeks. After two hours I was about to give up. Then I remembered the service guy's voice "look for a cut wire" like I was in some kind of cheesy Lord of the Rings spinoff movie. "Yes, my white wizard...at your service" was my nerdy reply. :assassin: :wizard:

I knew I had cut zip ties when I first removed the fairings so I started at that spot on the left side.

There, right in front of my eyes, was a beautiful sight.... 3 CUT WIRES!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Wow, can you believe I was actually welcoming the sight of cut wires?? I wanted to run out into the street and scream for estactic joy!! :hyper:

My neighbor came out and asked the situation... and she could not believe how happy and relieved I was to have 3 cut wires on my brand new baby. She thought I was nuts!! :blink:

The 3 wires that were cut are part of a group of about 12-15 wires that come out of a larger group of wires that go into the big white connector on the left side that then go to wire la-la land.

I fixed the wires, put the shell back on, popped the battery back in. Ok, the emergency lights were working correctly. So I hit the button... MY BABY FIRED RIGHT UP like nothing was wrong!! :wubsmiley: I jumped on her and rode down the street even though the windshield, fender, and the fender fairing were off.

To those of you who share in having your bike down due to maintenance or whatever, I really feel for you and hope yours is ready to go shortly.

Ok, here's the strange twist. The bike was resting on the center stand, the side stand was down, and I didn't have to pull the clutch for it to start. I turned it off and on several times in this pattern. Weird or normal? Should I be concerned? For me, having to start it by just pressing a button while having it rest on one of the stands is fine.... I can let it warm up while I'm decking on the attire.

It should always start when the side stand or the center stand is down...........as long as the bike is in neutral. If in gear, the safety switch will not let it fire unless the clutch is engaged.

Ok, here's the strange twist. The bike was resting on the center stand, the side stand was down, and I didn't have to pull the clutch for it to start. I turned it off and on several times in this pattern. Weird or normal? Should I be concerned? For me, having to start it by just pressing a button while having it rest on one of the stands is fine.... I can let it warm up while I'm decking on the attire.
If it was in neutral, thats one of the allowable ways to start. If you pull in the clutch & put it in gear, w/out putting up the side stand, it will die.

Normal.

IMHO I'd do the warm up on the centerstand. I've always figured it wasn't good to let the oil pool up on the left side.

Great news. I had a bike with an electrical problem before I bought my new 08. I KNOW how frustrating it can be. Now go out and have fun!

Since getting my bike I've only put 48 miles on it due to work and snow. I was under the impression it would not start if the side stand was down regardless of gear selection. I guess I shoudl re-read the manual again? Work has beat the living crap out of me since December... but it's good to have a job so no complaints. But I've had very little time to learn the FJR. As you can all easily see, with that question, I'm a novice on the FJR.

When I park it I use the center stand 95% of the time... seeing that 625+ pounder leaning on one side scares the breakfast out of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
:yahoo: [SIZE=12pt]Congratulations!!![/SIZE] :yahoo:

Ahhh, Grasshopper, your perseverance has led you to a successful conclusion to your ordeal.

NOTE: Let's be careful with sharp tools! :rolleyes:

Now step back and ask yourself..."What have I learned from this?"

Congrats, I know the feeling of both...tracking down a hard to find gremlin...and...being the cause of such gremlin-ification.

SWEET and SOUR.

CRMH,

I am estatic for you that you found your problem. The connector loom you cut, by the way, is your Main Harness Connector.

Watch this one very carefully since they can get wet and contaminated causing intermittent problems.

Now have some good weather your way and some Great Riding!

When I park it I use the center stand 95% of the time... seeing that 625+ pounder leaning on one side scares the breakfast out of me.
yap i use the center stand now, last year i must have put the side stand not complitely to the end and the bike fell on the side by itself during warm up, well many hundred bucks later, i use the center stand now.

hey i can imagine you jumping all over the place after finding the problem with your bike.

Just a hint, when working on your bike if you have trouble with it not starting it usally is the last thing that you were working on trying to fox the bike.

good find and no cost

Congrads on getting the bike running again. :yahoo: Makes for a good day to ride.

I will be spending a few weeks in Denver this summer - maybe we can meet up.

Dave

Dont forget to thank your service guy. It's not often they give out tips for free!

Congratulations on your find. But hey, next time let somebody else do the cutting < ha ha>. Seriously, use wire cutters (not any kind of blade), and try to cut next to the 'head' of the tie, where you usually have some space behind it. I've cut many of them in the middle without any damage at all, but you have to be VERY careful, especially if they were tightened by a gorilla. I usually install a few dozen cable ties on all my new motorcycles to tidy things up, but never tighten them too much. And always clip the 'tail' as well. Enjoy your baby.

JC

Latest posts