Looks like rust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptngym

Reaction score
Has anyone seen what appears to be rust on the mufflers around the welds. I had the dealer take some pics and send to Yami. Left one has it and the right one does not. This is on a 2006 AE. I think it appeared over the winter period when I was not riding much. Not sure if they will warranty it...not really wanting to change the pipes out in the near future due to rust. :angry: Your thoughts......

Or video of the rust forming!
geez ol man If yer that bored, I'll send ya some paint dryin vids er maybe some of the grass starting to grow here :p

I've had a thin line of corrosion form at the weld on and off for three years... nbd.

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
Or video of the rust forming!
geez ol man If yer that bored, I'll send ya some paint dryin vids er maybe some of the grass starting to grow here :p
Man, you warm weather guys never miss a chance to rub it in... ;)

Grass growin... sheesh. It friggen snowed here again today.

Muss be that global warmin' I been hearing so much about...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if they will warranty it... Your thoughts......
I'm not sure but I don't recall Yamaha's warranty mentioning rust or corrosion.

Do your roads get salted during winter?
Yep we our roads salted here in Central Il. It just seems funny it is on one side and not the other. I will try and get some pics for you guys that what to see them. Need to call the dealer and see what Yami has come up with. If it is NBD OK but do not want a rust thru brewing. :angry2:

[To the sounds of Cheech and Chong as two Russian soldiers marching across the snow]

Look like dog chit?

Look like dog chit.

Smell. Smell like chit?

Smell like dog chit.

Taste.

Taste?

Taste! Taste like dog chit?

ecchh. Taste like dog chit.

Mmmm. Must be dog chit. Good thing we no step in.

Da. Let's go eat.

This stuff is your friend on a collection of steel and aluminum parts near rain and road spray.

ACF_Family.jpg

One source

Use liberally. It'll find places to go and things to do.

Some of the more "inexpesive" grades of stainless will corrode.

We've had a few occasions where a vendor has supplied inferior quality parts that looked like crap and had to be replaced after one season on the water.

Some of the more "inexpesive" grades of stainless will corrode. We've had a few occasions where a vendor has supplied inferior quality parts that looked like crap and had to be replaced after one season on the water.

Yep that is what I was thinking also...cheap charlie or Yami in this case stainless. Depends on the "blend" of steels as to the grade of stainless you really get. Nothing back from the dealer yet I will contact them this week to see what the out come is. :eek:

Hmmm...like odot said...

Uh oh....sounds like someone got the south american made fjr.
Or maybe the mufflers were "Made in China". :eek:

[SIZE=8pt](So you might want to check the painted parts for lead content.)[/SIZE]

:lol:

Hmmm...like odot said...
Uh oh....sounds like someone got the south american made fjr.
Or maybe the mufflers were "Made in China". :eek:

[SIZE=8pt](So you might want to check the painted parts for lead content.)[/SIZE]

:lol:
Well not sure where they were made but just got the word from my dealer that Yami was going to replace them. :rolleyes:

You got to stop all that infernal washing. Don't you know that water causes steel to rust? Just get on it and ride........that's what it's made to do.

jim

The term stain LESS- Just means not as much as normal. In Florida we see surface corrosion often on boats. Normally a good scrubbin and she'll be good as new. Besides pics??