WTF are these for?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilmedic13

Reaction score
I'm doing my abs SS line swapout today and need a little help. All the parts seem to be there ,for now. This will be a little challenging, but definitely not rocket surgery or brain science I know.

The crux of my problem is this, I have no frakin' idea what these are for or where there supposed to go!!!!!!!

Any ideas will be greatly welcomed. I'm going to disassemble everything for now. Hopefully, someone will know.

DSC00896.jpg
Banlo's and washers are clear to me, it's these that have me puzzled

DSC00897.jpg

The "instructions" don't really show what or , more importantly WHERE these "brake pasties" go :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing my abs SS line swapout today and need a little help. All the parts seem to be there ,for now. This will be a little challenging, but definitely not rocket surgery or brain science I know.
The crux of my problem is this, I have no frakin' idea what these are for or where there supposed to go!!!!!!!

Any ideas will be greatly welcomed. I'm going to disassemble everything for now. Hopefully, someone will know.

Banlo's and washers are clear to me, it's these that have me puzzled

DSC00897.jpg

The "instructions" don't really show what or , more importantly WHERE these "brake pasties" go :blink:
I have replaced my Clutch and front brake lines (non-ABS) on my 2005, and I have NOT seen those little flying saucer goodies.

A question to you EM13:

Do you have ABS?

If you answer yes, I suspect this could be for your ABS at the modulator end. One line for in, one line for out, for both front and rear lines, that equals four. They may have soemthing to do with when the ABS cycles, it regulates the flow in both directions. I'd still E-mail or call Galfer to be sure, unless someone else can for sure say what they are for.

Good luck.

Well, they look like restriction orifices of some sort, but exactly what that are (and more importantly, *where* they go), you got me.

I don't seem to recall seeing these little guys in the Spiegler ABS kits....

Guess a call to Galfer on Monday is indicated, unless another forum member can answer your question here...

edit: Maybe they go to the fittings on the ABS modulator? 4 restrictive orifices provided, and note how there are 4 end fittings on the ABS modulator....

PumpLine.jpg

Of course, this could just be coincidental.....
shrug.gif

:angry: CRAP!!!!!!!

Oh, well. I guess I'll button her back up for now and wait 'til next week. There's no way I'm tearing this shit down w/ no way of properly installing this stuff, leaving the brakes to a potential fault that could lead to the wife collecting on insurance, let alone not riding on the nicest weekend we've had since october!

Thanks guys, I'm hoping it's just some anomoly in packaging, especially if the spieglers didn't have 'em and we run the same ABS system, I can't see why these are included. It always looks simple until I touch it. :glare:

EM;

You didn't answer the ABS question. Still it's smart to call and be sure. You're right don't tear it down until you know for sure.

Re-post on this thread after you find out what it's for. Maybe this can go into the Bin-O-facts....

I thought the 4th word gave it away :p . Sorry, I'm a smarty pants today, no malice meant in the response. As soon as I know, you guys will definitely know. No need to spread misery to others if it could be avoided. I spoke to Jdeez yesterday and he didn't recall any such item in his kit either, hopefully he can help.

I thought the 4th word gave it away :p . Sorry, I'm a smarty pants today, no malice meant in the response. As soon as I know, you guys will definitely know. No need to spread misery to others if it could be avoided. I spoke to Jdeez yesterday and he didn't recall any such item in his kit either, hopefully he can help.
Oh man! I just let everyone know that I'm a product of the L.A. Unified School system and I can't read!!! :eek:

I'm a dufus for reading it too fast and missing it. Thanks for the help , I need all the help I can get. :cryingsmiley:

No dogpile... Whhooo. dodged a bullet there. Hopefully odot or Bust won't see this, I'd be skewered! :jester:

Looks like you'll get to practice teraing apart your brake lines. The "flying saucers" go on the inside of the female ends of the line. On my instructions, it was the last line.....almost as a PS.

I'm buttoning up my install on my lines now (got the complete kit for ABS bike) and it took me all day yesterday to just change the lines. I managed to chew-up most of the nuts where a soft line ties into a hard line...what a PITA.

Good luck.

I was thinking of doing stainless on my '07 ABS duh... Let me know what it is like to bleed this system. The Dealer told me when I change fluid, They would just suck out the reservoir and put new fluid in. They wouldn't even try the whole system themselves? Sounded stupid to me but, I never have done Fluid replace on ABS anything. thanks

<...> The "flying saucers" go on the inside of the female ends of the line. <...>
Yep. They belong in there, problem is, it's very tricky to position the "flying saucer" inside the female end and bring the latter in contact with the threaded male end (that is, the OEM hard line sticking out of the frame --- see pic)

DSCF1299.JPG
DSCF1300.JPG

What will invariably happen as you try and align the Gallfer line with the hard line is that the "flying saucer" will fall on its side or into the bike's black hole, never to resurface again. I ended up rolling the "saucers" in automotive grease so that they'd stick in their place while I fumbled with the hard line in one hand and the Galfer line in the other.

DSCF1310.JPG

BTW, in Evilmedic's photo they are pictured with the crush washers but they have nothing to do with them. Crush washers belong with the banjo bolts, while the 4 "saucers" are used when OEM lines and Galfer lines are joined (4 such connections on an ABS FJR1300 up to RP11).

Stef

I was thinking of doing stainless on my '07 ABS duh... Let me know what it is like to bleed this system. The Dealer told me when I change fluid, They would just suck out the reservoir and put new fluid in. They wouldn't even try the whole system themselves? Sounded stupid to me but, I never have done Fluid replace on ABS anything. thanks
I have only done the SS lines on my 05 for the front brakes and clutch lines, gravy. The hardest part was getting to the inside screw of the clutch that is in between the frame and the engine. what a PITA. You can't see it and each turn is a fraction of a turn, that took me the longest. I opted to NOT replace that one.

Also the poor design of the FeeJ calipers has the zerk fitting in a spot on top of the caliper that when you remove the lines the fluid wants to drip down into the calipers and pads. I tried tape to make a small funnel to guide the fluid away, it helped, but I had to always makes sure nothing dripped down there. The fittings should be designed and located on the outside and at the bottom, not on top, geees.

I have done the ABS on BMW front and rear a couple times, no problem for that make. It was just like bleeding them regular except it drank a lot more fluid. Not sure what the process is for the FeeJ ABS.

I also used a hand vacuum pump ($30) to initially get the fluid going then pumped the brakes manually to get all the rest of the bubbles out. Really pretty easy, but if you're doing all the lines, I'd say schedule the entire day.

Good luck.

Thanks to Teerex51 I will set aside the rest of the week for maintainence :yahoo: . The ABS shouldn't be bad, now that I know what goes where. Just gotta figure out why my turn signal relay(aftermarket) is intermittently working now :angry: . Oh well, me + mr.multimeter will find out one way or the other. :D Plus, I'm working every other day, so I'll be too tired to ride anyway.

Looks like you'll get to practice teraing apart your brake lines. The "flying saucers" go on the inside of the female ends of the line. On my instructions, it was the last line.....almost as a PS.
I'm buttoning up my install on my lines now (got the complete kit for ABS bike) and it took me all day yesterday to just change the lines. I managed to chew-up most of the nuts where a soft line ties into a hard line...what a PITA.

Good luck.
Instructions?! This is what those fucks gave me, a goddamned cutaway from the parts fiche w/ letters on it. Assholes!!!!!!!!!

DSC00932.jpg

That brake line kit that you have may fit several other bikes and they go for their brake line install.

Just a cheaper way for parts control.

<...> The "flying saucers" go on the inside of the female ends of the line. <...>
Yep. They belong in there, problem is, it's very tricky to position the "flying saucer" inside the female end and bring the latter in contact with the threaded male end (that is, the OEM hard line sticking out of the frame --- see pic)

Stef
Very well described!

Thank you, Stef.