engine flat spot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattster31

Reaction score
Now that I have had the opportunity to get my machine on the highway for the first time, I have noticed a slight hesitation in the engine at speed. This is my first FJR, but I have owned many Yamaha bikes and they have all had a flat spot in the throttle here and there. However, what I am experiencing feels like a hesitation in the throttle, almost like I am running out of gas. It happens at about 4 1/2 k on the RPM's and I have to give it more throttle than I feel I should to get past it. I only notice it on the hwy in 4th and 5th gear, probably because I am cruising at that speed.

I am thinking...could it be the TPS?? but I know the recall was done. I have changed the plugs, valve adj is done, and TBS is done. Fresh premium is in the tank.

Any thoughts???

Thanks in advance.

I don't know how big of a flat spot you are referring but the 1300 comes alive just a little north of 5000. It may just be normal, as when you see 5,000 rpm's, there then seems to be a rush. (you could save some money and forgo the premium, if you're pumping 87 for regular, that's all your engine is likely to need)

Mattster,
Here is how you test your TPS:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...ost&p=37996

Hope this helps so you can get a smooth riding bike!

Thanks for the link to the TPS test. Just checked it and it's perfect. :unsure: 15 at closed, and 100 open. the numbers roll up sequentially very well. so I am still unsure with this one. It only does it between 4 - 4 1/2 k rpm, and a little bit just off idle. I'll keep researching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try running some Sea Foam or other injector clean through a tank. Other can give you other injector cleaners names. And I wouldn't run more than 89 octane in her. My 04 does very well on 87.

Tom