Code 16 Spring Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHammer

Reaction score
OK, after a long-ish winter I took the 05 out of storage (no battery tender, no fuel stabilizer, I know...I know...) Turned the key, got a weak crank, sputter, dead. code 16 on the clock. With a jump the crank was weak, and there seemed to be no spark. Took the battery to the local battery gurus for a charge and I'll be picking it up today since I think my charger is a walmart piece of crap.

I spent last night and today searching various sites for my problem and came up with a variety of solutions, let me know what my best course is.

I found it's a TPS code? Out of adjustment or whatever? I had my TPS replaced last fall per recall and only drove it maybe 400 miles since.

"Something like turn it on and hold the throttle wide open. Something to do with the sensors or some damn thing." huh?

"the combination of long storage and #16 error code apparently leads to severe flooding. The only way out is to open the throttle WFO BEFORE you turn the key. Apparently this shuts down the fule supply." again, huh?

low/no compression due to carbon holding the valves open or busted/jumped timing chain.

gummed up throttle bodies due to owner being a dumbass and not taking the fuel stabilizer off the shelf NEXT to his bike and putting some in the tank. Can I clean my own TB's?

I'll look into the resetting codes I saw posted and see that there is to see, no tip-overs on this bike since my wife backed into it in '05.

Any sound guidance would be gratly appreciated before I kill the fresh battery again tonight.

Heh, got the battery, took it home, plopped it in, said a prayer, and it fired right up. Nabbed the gear, and ran it to a far-ish gas station, filled it up, added some injector cleaner, and strolled home with a grin pasted to my grill.