rear shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonta

Reaction score
Have any or many of you guys had trouble with your rear shock leaking. Mine has quite a bit of mung around the base and I don't think it is all from just road grunge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends how many miles. They're wear items. The stockers are a disposable unit and generally good for 15-20K before they go flabby...and could easily leak as they get older. Think about a Pense or Ohlins upgrade.

Depends how many miles. They're wear items. The stockers are a disposable unit and generally good for 15-20K before they go flabby...and could easily leak as they get older. Think about a Pense or Ohlins upgrade.
I forgot to mention the miles. The bike has 25k on it and I have a tendency to loft the front end quite often.

Have any or many of you guys had trouble with your rear shock leaking. Mine has quite a bit of mung around the base and I don't think it is all from just road grunge.
Short answer... YES, they can leak eventually. I had mine replaced at about the 25K mark and added the preload spacer to the replacement. (This was on my 05, not my 08)

You didn't say how many miles, although that is not always the determining factor. I just sent a Wilbers shock back for repair that was leaking on the bottom seal and it had less than 10,000 on it.

'05 ABS. I weigh about 240. Always ride with side bags on, but not heavily loaded.

Shock #1 catastrophic failure at about 6K miles - big puddle of clear oil on the floor = warrantee item

Shock #2 died of old age at about 35K - some weeping, but never a drop on the ground - wear item (I double-checked), so no $$ from Yamaha/YES

Shock #3 is down to its last 5 clicks of adjustment at about 53K - bought a new Penske in the group buy, but haven't had time to make the trip up to Portland to get it replaced yet.

The plus side is, I get to blame all my peg-wear on riding my shocks to death - yeah, yeah, that's it... :rolleyes:

'05 ABS. I weigh about 240. Always ride with side bags on, but not heavily loaded.
Shock #1 catastrophic failure at about 6K miles - big puddle of clear oil on the floor = warrantee item

Shock #2 died of old age at about 35K - some weeping, but never a drop on the ground - wear item (I double-checked), so no $$ from Yamaha/YES

Shock #3 is down to its last 5 clicks of adjustment at about 53K - bought a new Penske in the group buy, but haven't had time to make the trip up to Portland to get it replaced yet.

The plus side is, I get to blame all my peg-wear on riding my shocks to death - yeah, yeah, that's it... :rolleyes:
Thanks people,guess I'll start saving my pennies for a aftermarket. Can't see doing this every 25k