Windshield retract question...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swingman3

Reaction score
On my 2005 FJR, the windshield would retract when I turned the key off, as designed. But today, it just stopped doing the auto-retracting thing. I looked at the page at fjr1300.info on how to do this intentionally to see if I could troubleshoot, but everything looks like it's supposed to (plugged in, I mean.) Anyway, considering some guys do this modification intentionally, I know it's not the most critical thing, but I hate when something doesn't work right, so if anyone has any ideas on why this would stop working, like maybe a blown fuse or something, let me know. Thanks.

Swingman Sends

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it still adjust up or down when the engine's running, or is it completely dead? No auto-retract would be a different problem from no adjustment at all.

Sorry, should have been more clear... It goes up and down when the key is on. The switch works just fine. It just won't auto-retract when I turn off the key. Thanks.

SM

I couldn't really get a good look at it. My plug doesn't look much like the one in the pics, and I couldn't get it out of the "dash" or even disconnect it to look at the terminals. The only thing there that resembles these pics is the small (two-wires, 1 brown 1 yellow) lead coming from the visible plug to another plug further up. I was able to disconnect that one and the windshlield worked with it unplugged, but still no auto-retract. :angry:

Do you think it's possible for that stupid plug to just corrode up there? It seems like it stays dry. I guess anything is possible.

SM

On my 2005 FJR, the windshield would retract when I turned the key off, as designed. But today, it just stopped doing the auto-retracting thing. I looked at the page at fjr1300.info on how to do this intentionally to see if I could troubleshoot, but everything looks like it's supposed to (plugged in, I mean.)
My '05 started doing the same thing this year. Started out intermittent, now it never auto retracts, but like yours, functions fine when using the toggle. Haven't looked into 'why' yet (so, no new info., but you're not the only one it's happened to).

Gen I and Gen II there is one 6 wire connector, one 2 wire connector (Red/Black wires) and one 2 wire jumper (Black/Black wires). The fuses associated with the windshield drive unit are Windshield Motor Fuse and Backup Fuse. If the windshield works the Motor Fuse is good. If the odometer and clock work correctly the Backup Fuse is ok. The only item that is external to the Drive Unit is the neutral light. Since several people mention the problem as being intermittent there will be no 'hard' failure like a blown fuse or broken wires. If the problem is intermittent, take the time and ensure the bike is in neutral, and that that the neutral light stays on and the motor retracts the windshield. If the neutral light goes out, it points to a problem external to the Drive Unit.

Inspect the 6 pin connector (if you can get to it) by unplugging it, as well as the Red/Black wire & Black wire jumper. If all these items look good then the problem most likely is within the Motor Drive assembly.

If someone is intrepid enough to access the connectors and wants to electrically troubleshoot the problem ping me. Everything you need to know for troubleshooting is in the FSM.