ABS sensor flashing after wheels were off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cougar8000

Reaction score
Had to remove both wheel to mount SmartTire. While wheels were off sensors were not touching any metal for sure. I was switching ignition on and off testing power connection for the SmartTire.

Now that everything is back on. Star the bike and put in gear(both wheels off the ground) start turning rear tire and ABS starts to flash. I think I might have touched metal during the install but power was off. I might have gotten a bit of grease on the teeth on the rear tire for the sensor, but I cleaned them up.

Disconnected the rear sensor and reconnected it back, but still flashing once tire is turning.

BTW. Yes, I checked FJRtech.com and it is all aligned properly.

HELP. I need to get it fixed tonight. (CRYING)

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember right, the ABS sensor doesn't work right if you run the tires on the stand. Has to be on the road running.

Have you tried putting it down and driving it to see if the light goes out?

I've had that happen too. Just go ride it. Once the sensors detect both wheels are going the same speed it should satisfy itself that all is OK in it's world.

I am back and sure enough sensor is not. It has never happened to me before and yes I had rear up in the air and running it in gear while the front was stationary.

I am blaming the rap music for this. Spank you all that contributed. :p

It just downed on me. What if I suddenly learn to wheely(how the hell do you spell that)? Am I going to have a problem with the sensor then as well.

I sure hope you guys are correct. Be back in a few. Yes, I WILL :)
You will be back to say, "You guys were right again!" :lol:

Edited: Boy, between when I read the opening replies and posted my response a lot took place!

I interrupt this fascinating thread to reach out to Ionbeam if he's still here. Your inbox is full. I tried PMing and it bounced back.

Sorry for the interruption- now back to regularly scheduled programming.

This was probably the fastest resolution to a problem, at least from what I have seen. 24 minutes from start to finish. Will try electrical tape next time. :)