Weird Oil Light issue today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyfool

Reaction score
On my way home from work today, I was about 5 min into my afternoon commute when I saw the oil light come on. I do a quick glance back to see if I have a stream of oil coming from my bike, nothing. I'm on the interstate where there is no shoulder, and didn't want to pull over and get creamed, so I'm going through all the things in my head it could be, and the only thing I can think is, "That can't be right." I turn the key off, then back on, and the light goes out. I pull over when there's a shoulder, see the temp gauge is normal, and shut the bike off. Climb under, no visible leaks. Start bike again, no oil light. Ride home.

Put bike on center stand, go inside. Come out 2 hours later, oil level is dead center between the two dots.

Why'd it come on?

It's from a lack of riding with your friends on Saturdays and only for commuting.

On my way home from work today, I was about 5 min into my afternoon commute when I saw the oil light come on. I do a quick glance back to see if I have a stream of oil coming from my bike, nothing. I'm on the interstate where there is no shoulder, and didn't want to pull over and get creamed, so I'm going through all the things in my head it could be, and the only thing I can think is, "That can't be right." I turn the key off, then back on, and the light goes out. I pull over when there's a shoulder, see the temp gauge is normal, and shut the bike off. Climb under, no visible leaks. Start bike again, no oil light. Ride home.
Put bike on center stand, go inside. Come out 2 hours later, oil level is dead center between the two dots.

Why'd it come on?
Since I don't own an FJR yet (soon to change), I'm likely speaking out of school but my wife's VStar 1100 will some times do the same thing. Generally when it is hot and accelerating most often slowing for a stop sign but once in awhile just going down the road. The "explanation" was was an air bubble in the oil line catching in the pressure port.

Just a hunch, But mine does that sometimes, And i think it's related to restricted oil flow or a bubble near the sensor. Yeah, Thats it! :dntknw:

Excessive acceleration will cause all the oil to collect in the back of the tranny, causing a temporary low oil level in the crankcase.

FJRPig, find out what Pony's schedule is and set up a radar trap for him so we can verify this theory....... :evilsmiley03: :evilsmiley03: :evilsmiley03:

FJRPig, find out what Pony's schedule is and set up a radar trap for him so we can verify this theory....... :evilsmiley03: :evilsmiley03: :evilsmiley03:
I'm still not actually convinced he rode anywhere, given his recent track record. The best place to set up radar would be at the end of his driveway...and that still might be a long wait. :lol: