Ticker help in Jax. FL

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRDAY

Reaction score
I have an '04 that is starting to exhibit signs of being a ticker. The local yocal shops have never even heard of this condition and say they called Yamaha and was told by them that they had never heard of it either. My YES coverage runs out in August so I need to get this resolved. Any help on locating a REAL shop that can fix it would be greatly appreciated.

David

If they are claiming that Yamaha knows nothing about this they are lying HUGE. I cannot believe after all of this time Yamaha would deny knowing about this. Did you refer to what was happening with your bike as "the tick" or "premature valve guide wear"? If you used the term "the tick", try using the latter term instead. I hope to see that someone posts up a person that your dealer needs to speak with directly. Good luck with all future dealings, Heidi

David, Try Ron Turner Cycles on Beach Blvd. Stand up dealership with a good FJR mechanic. I do all my own work but have heard nothing but good things about them from others. And they have always been very helpful. As for Yamaha not knowing anything about the issue, I'm thinking you probably took the bike to Purcells Yamaha on Blanding blvd. Believe me, they don't know jack. They sell Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki and when I went in to talk with the service rep about my mpg cluster recall and told him I had an FJR he ask, who makes that. Dumb Ass!

FJRDay, be sure to participate in the poll on NEPRT first page:"how many have had the tick?". I suspect many `05 and older owners haven`t done so as the total numbers are way to low. BTW, you have my sympathy. This story just keeps repeating itself like a bad dream. :angry2:

David, Try Ron Turner Cycles on Beach Blvd. Stand up dealership with a good FJR mechanic. I do all my own work but have heard nothing but good things about them from others. And they have always been very helpful. As for Yamaha not knowing anything about the issue, I'm thinking you probably took the bike to Purcells Yamaha on Blanding blvd. Believe me, they don't know jack. They sell Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki and when I went in to talk with the service rep about my mpg cluster recall and told him I had an FJR he ask, who makes that. Dumb Ass!
Actually, Ron Turner was the shop I was referring to. My brother was in there and mentioned all of this to the service writer who he described as a young kid. He launched into the whole "we can't run our service department based on everything that comes across the Internet" diatribe. The disturbing part being, of course, him saying he had never heard of this problem with an FJR. I'd like to find a shop that would at least acknowledge having heard of it, if not having done the repair. I'd like to see a thread of all the people who had their ticker fixed and by what shop in what state. That would go a long way in helping those of us in need to find someone who would shoot straight about the whole thing. I bought the bike at D&H and will probably take it back there to get it fixed if I can't find somebody closer to Jax. that I feel I can trust. My brother totaled his '03 (also bought at D&H) in Dec. and is wanting to buy my '04. I wouldn't mind picking up an '07 or '08, so we just may make a trip up to see Jerrold and Renaa soon.

David

I bought my 06A new from Ron Turner over two years ago and the bike has been back 3 or 4 times for speedo, ecu bulletins and regular maintenance and I have never had any negative issues with them. Maybe just bad luck with the kid?