Eugene man arrested for allegedly riding over 160 mph on I-5

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDRydr

A Homeless Nomad
Reaction score
Most of us locals know that Oregon is shorthanded on state troopers, but still, this is just plain dumb. And a construction zone no less. :crazy: :headbonk:

Police arrested a Eugene OR man on Sunday after he allegedly rode his motorcycle over 160 miles per hour on Interstate 5. Ben Howard Kelley, 37, provided police with the evidence against him, authorities said.

A trooper was northbound on I-5, north of Eugene, when he noticed a motorcyclist speeding and estimated the man was going 100 to 115 mph.

When troopers stopped Kelley, they noticed a digital camera was set up near the handlebars, pointing forward; Kelley had been filming his speedometer.

“After examining the digital camera video, troopers got a big surprise when it showed the speedometer registering speeds up to 164 mph,” said Oregon State Police Lieutenant Gregg Hastings.

Kelley was arrested for reckless driving and lodged in Lane County Jail pending a future appearance in Lane County Circuit Court.

Police seized the digital camera as evidence. :haha: A review of the camera's video shows the motorcycle being operated in a dangerous, reckless manner through the Interstate 5 Eugene/Springfield highway construction zone at a high rate of speed, according to Hastings. Police did not release video to the media.

That was jdog, wasn't it? I'd almost put money on that. Damn felon.

Most of us locals know that Oregon is shorthanded on state troopers, but still, this is just plain dumb. And a construction zone no less. :crazy: :headbonk:
Police arrested a Eugene OR man on Sunday after he allegedly rode his motorcycle over 160 miles per hour on Interstate 5. Ben Howard Kelley, 37, provided police with the evidence against him, authorities said.

A trooper was northbound on I-5, north of Eugene, when he noticed a motorcyclist speeding and estimated the man was going 100 to 115 mph.

When troopers stopped Kelley, they noticed a digital camera was set up near the handlebars, pointing forward; Kelley had been filming his speedometer.

“After examining the digital camera video, troopers got a big surprise when it showed the speedometer registering speeds up to 164 mph,” said Oregon State Police Lieutenant Gregg Hastings.

Kelley was arrested for reckless driving and lodged in Lane County Jail pending a future appearance in Lane County Circuit Court.

Police seized the digital camera as evidence. :haha: A review of the camera's video shows the motorcycle being operated in a dangerous, reckless manner through the Interstate 5 Eugene/Springfield highway construction zone at a high rate of speed, according to Hastings. Police did not release video to the media.
What a moron... It's highly likely that that video was destined for YouTube once Mr. Kelley returned home. I hope the police destory it after it's used in his court appearance. And oh how I pray that this penis puppet never sees his license again. Ever. :glare:

If that video evidence does stick, make sure you zero out your GPS's top speed reading. Frankly, I think a judge might rule the offenders video as 'self incriminating' and toss it as evidence.

If that video evidence does stick, make sure you zero out your GPS's top speed reading. Frankly, I think a judge might rule the offenders video as 'self incriminating' and toss it as evidence.
Nah, I think mine says I have a top speed of 399mph. I'd like to see them prove that my bike can actually reach those speeds.

Hell, yeah! Carry it on an airliner! :clapping:

I've always wondered about the posted runs you see, why couldn't they be used to prosecute? Obviously matching the offender to the event, but I have heard that a famous Ferrari run got the guy nabbed in Europe.

But finding the camera running on the bike when they caught him, that's rather. . . unfortunate. Dropping it via the Fifth would be a stretch to my thinking. Sounds like an epsiode they should do on Law & Order!

Camera in plain sight, no warrant needed......whoopsie-daisy. :eek:
Actually, you have to have a search warrant to examine the contents of the camera. It was seized without one, though, without difficulty.

The article doesn't mention it, but the Trooper who scooped this joker did draft an affidavit and search warrant to examine the video footage. The rider is toast.

We all have done stupid things... And i am suprised the video will hold up.

So, JDOG will need to be extremely careful not to include the speedo in his videos.

I would be interested in if the GPS readings would hold up against you also... :dntknw:

160 MPH is pretty sweet! I'm jealous. I don't think I have the rocks to go that fast. If I did I would want to record it for sure. Getting caught is one of the risks.

Agreed, this person is too stupid to be allowed to breed. There are lots of roads in OR where you can go 160 in a relative safe fashion. (I've been to 150.) But to do it on I-5 in a construction zone indicates that his brain is only used to hold his ears apart.

Phil

I would be interested in if the GPS readings would hold up against you also... :dntknw:
I sure hope not. My GPS lost signal one day and thought I was in another state, and my max speed shows over 2300 mph. :dribble:

The video will hold up in court, but stop worrying about your GPS readings...They won't. This is a Cliff-notes version, but:

Dip-shit got caught with the camera running, which would lead a reasonable person to believe the camera held evidence of a crime; making it good warrant fodder. So say the LEO's see the footage of the rider going 160+ eight minutes ago; its easy to prove he was riding that speed in their jurisdiction. If the camera had been off, I don't think the officer would have been able to look at it.

The GPS only shows max speed, but does not specify when that speed was reached. You may get stopped in Oregon, but who is to say you didn't hit 155mph in Montana, or yesterday? Also if you are getting stopped and are that worried about it, just turn the GPS off. Since it's primary purpose is not to act as a recording device, I think an officer would have a helluva time getting a warrant to look at it (unless it was a fatal crash, I wouldn't even try). Having the speed out there for everyone to read would probably make warrant getting easier, but there is still the issue of where the rider reached that speed. Now...if an officer got you on radar or laser at 155 and when he stopped you, your GPS confirmed you were going that speed, the unit could legally be seized as corroborating evidence.

This of course all depends on state laws, and just my .02, but I'm glad he got arrested whether it sticks or not.

TV news site has a few photos: LINK

Also, another article in our paper says the Oregon State Police have officially stated this is the fastest speeder they've ever cited (captured?) in the state. Others claimed to be going faster but they say this is "officially" the fastest they've had.

My momma says, "Stoopid is as stoopid duz!" :slow_en:
Don't be so sure about that. A camera is not contraband anymore than a cell phone. I would think a search warrant would be needed to review the recordings on it.

What if an officer saw a GPS display showing a top speed of 140 mph? In other words, what if it was showing on the display screen when the officer walked up to the cyclist after a vehicle stop? This would be very interesting (from a legal theoretical standpoint I mean).

My momma says, "Stoopid is as stoopid duz!" :slow_en:
Don't be so sure about that. A camera is not contraband anymore than a cell phone. I would think a search warrant would be needed to review the recordings on it.

What if an officer saw a GPS display showing a top speed of 140 mph? In other words, what if it was showing on the display screen when the officer walked up to the cyclist after a vehicle stop? This would be very interesting (from a legal theoretical standpoint I mean).
Then there are track logs that some GPSR use including my 2610. Every few seconds it records your speed and location.