ABS hard line leaking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilmedic13

Reaction score
Sorry, this drama is a fuckin soap opera already. I got all the lines on yesterday and went out today and got the DOT4 fluid I need. The wife and go out and start bleeding all the lines. Rear lines are fine, we do the front next. That's when problems begin. I find something going down the radiatior as we're done. It's brake fluid!!!!!WTF!!! I check all the lines and see nothing, so I remove the metal piece that attaches to the frame and holds the hard lines. There's the leak. So I check and they're a little loose, no problem, I'm dumb and missed the obvious. So I think. I tightened the hard lines a littla at a time until they are tight.

I figure okay I'm all done, just check it later to make sure. I go out 2 hours later and ,sure enough, there's fluid on the same little fucker!!!!!! :angry: I gave it the best I could and rechecked the tightness of the lines and couldn't turn 'em any further, not w/o fear of breaking something. After that, I wiped everything off again and wrapped some towels around them to see if it continues.

Any idea what to do if it continues? I swore someone said teflon tape is a felonious no-no, so that option has been euthanized, any options are welcome.

I searched, and searched under a few different ways to do it and came up w/ useless info that had nothing to do w/ anything.

I wish I knew that you were wrenching on your bike yesterday. I was over at Roy's house somewhere near you in the evening and could have stopped by your place to at least point out the obvious. Ed, it is leaking :D

You just can't get a brake, shit I did it again, with those bikes. Did you get a new battery yet? If you don't fined a leak by Sunday I might be able to skip the house for a couple hours to give you a hand.

Oh yeah, new battery went in last week. The leak is from the male-female hard line connection :blushsmiley: , just don't know how to stop it. It's not a big one, for now. Definitely want to avoid that, if not, the originals go back on. If you have any ideas or just want to stop by, please do, my doors always open, if I'm home.

Evilmedic,

Likely the fitting is either not manufactured correctly, or you have dirt or contamination on the threads. Perhaps disassemble it and carefully inspect, cleaning with brake cleaner.

BTW, nice avatar! Very instructive on a topic most people would likely get wrong. It's always good to contribute to the community. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
<...> The leak is from the male-female hard line connection :blushsmiley: , <...>
Is there any chance that little bronze washer (the "flying saucer") does not sit right where it belongs? If it has slid on its side, it won't do its job and will prevent a snug fit between the two connectors. Hence the leak.

I know how you'll hate to hear this (BTDT), but you need to disconnect the offending joint, check the bronze washer for markings and scratches.

If it has jammed, it may well have gotten scratched when you tightened the two lines together. (I don't think the little f*cker could bend or warp, it's extremely tough).

What I ended up doing was roll it into automotive grease and place it into the female end where it stuck while I joined the two lines.

If the washer happens to be damaged, I can airmail a spare one to you --- but that means you'll be grounded for a few days.

(Just pray that the male end is not bent out of shape or the female-end thread is not damaged....)

Stef

brakelines.JPG

Drawing © Kitchentable Engineering Co. Milan :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
<...> The leak is from the male-female hard line connection :blushsmiley: , <...>
Is there any chance that little bronze washer (the "flying saucer") does not sit right where it belongs? If it has slid on its side, it won't do its job and will prevent a snug fit between the two connectors. Hence the leak.

I know how you'll hate to hear this (BTDT), but you need to disconnect the offending joint, check the bronze washer for markings and scratches.

If it has jammed, it may well have gotten scratched when you tightened the two lines together. (I don't think the little f*cker could bend or warp, it's extremely tough).

What I ended up doing was roll it into automotive grease and place it into the female end where it stuck while I joined the two lines.

If the washer happens to be damaged, I can airmail a spare one to you --- but that means you'll be grounded for a few days.

(Just pray that the male end is not bent out of shape or the female-end thread is not damaged....)

Stef

brakelines.JPG

Drawing © Kitchentable Engineering Co. Milan :rolleyes:
Very nice job Stef!!!! You have many talents!!

LC

Well it looks like it wasn't tight enough :rolleyes: . I checked it about 20 mins ago and no fluid was found anywhere, other than one banjo bolt. The banjo leak is my fault, I accidentally went left instead of right when I rechecked the bolt <_< . No biggie there, I at least know what,where and why it's happening.