Coolant system question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad

Reaction score
I drained the coolant and refilled it . After filling I warmed up the motor and cracked the throttle a few times to see if any air came out. I then topped off the radiator and reserviour, buttoned up and have done a few rides but it seems to warm up quicker and have one extra bar a little longer after stopping in traffic. Is there a trick to purging air? The coolant level sight gauge remains normal. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. thanks

I recently did a coolant flush on my '05. Here's what I did and the results I had.

- At the final fill, I topped the the radiator completely and the reservior to the upper line when the bike was cold.

- I then started the bike and let it idle until the fan came on (4 bars)and took a short ride to be absolutely certain that all the air in the system had the opportunity to make its way to the top of the system. At the end of the ride the reservior level hadn't changed at all.

- After letting the bike cool overnight I found that the reservior level had dropped only slightly.

- Following my next ride, and again letting the bike cool completely, I found that the coolant level had dropped to just below the lower line.

- I added coolant to bring the level to the upper line at that time.

In the two weeks since I did the flush I've ridden several times for a total of ~1000 miles and the coolant level in the reservior hasn't changed at all. Operating temps and behavior are the same now as they were before the flush.

I drained the coolant and refilled it . After filling I warmed up the motor and cracked the throttle a few times to see if any air came out. I then topped off the radiator and reserviour, buttoned up and have done a few rides but it seems to warm up quicker and have one extra bar a little longer after stopping in traffic. Is there a trick to purging air? The coolant level sight gauge remains normal. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. thanks

I ran my bike until the fans came on. I shut it off and let it sit over night. Removed radiator cap, added 50/50 mix to top. Put cap on, ran motor until fans came on, let bike sit overnight, added more mix, put cap on, ran until fans came one, let bike sit over night, added more mix. It took me 5 nights to get it full. Bike runs at same temps as before now. I will not be draining my coolant for track days again this year, it was a bit of work. :blink: