Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 fork cartridge kit install!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Well gents, I may have gone off the deep end with the cost of this mod. $1150. installed (forks off the bike). But this includes fresh fluids, and the cartridge kit and the correct springs for your weight. That is one thing that I think was a little off on the Wilbers deal. Everyone got the same front spring rate (how can that be). I had talked to Lee (he is a member here) a few times trying to get as much info to make my mind up. Well on my way to Atlanta I set a time to have this work done. I was running a few hours late, but this was not a problem for them.

When I pulled up Lee was there to greet me with a hello and hand shake. And a place out of the 100 deg heat. First thing I did was meet everyone and hand them my new to me Ohlin shock to Martin. He is the Wiz in the suspension dept. He first pulled the spring and then cleaned the shock in the ultrasound bath. I thought it looked good before, now it looked new. He put it on the dyno and let it do it's thing. First off, the stock rear spring was to light at 625lbs. for my weight and so was the rebound stack in the shock. He said not a problem, I will revalve only the rebound valving, and service the shock. It will be like new and setup for your weight and riding ability. And he went to work on my shock......

While he was doing that I pulled my forks off and gave then to Lee. He already had me a set of AK-20 cartridges put together for me. But before they could be installed my forks came completely apart and cleaned. I should tell you guys there shop is SPOTLESS!!!!!. I think you could have open heart surgery in there.... Lee stripped the forks down and cleaned all the parts. Then all the parts went in the ultrasound cleaning tank. And again everything looked new. He inspected all the parts. He did find a very small nick in a fork tube and then polished it out. He installed the new fork kit and set them up for my weight ect. While he was doing this, I put my very cool Ohlin rear shock on my FJR.

When Lee was done I put the front back together and couldn't wait to ride it.

Total cost...

$999.75 cartridge kit

$150.00 fork kit install.

$125. service and revalve rebound only on the rear shock.

$99.95 for the correct rear spring.

$1374.70 total.

While there maybe some guy that say Holy-Shit thats a lot of money... Well you are right, it is a lot of money. But to me it is better spent on this than exhaust, PCIII, and other performance items.

Most guys didn't think $600-800. on a rear shock was out of line, or a grand for a complete exhaust. I think it is because the fork kit can't be seen, and there for has zero bling factor. But thats what I think...

Now for the ride report.....

All I can say is WOW. I did a slab ride from Atlanta and the rear was outstanding. And the front was okay. But the real test and what I wanted was where I ride most... the twistys...

Well myself, Dogger (Skinny Dave), my brother and a few others went for a early "beat the heat" ride at 4:30am this morning. We took it easy till the fog was gone. We ended up on one of Missouris greatest sportbike road. Highway 32 and HWY DD and P. The bike was fantastic!!! On a 5 mile section of P me and Dogger was really letting it hang out. It cornered perfect and none of the bad habits of the stock setup. All I can say it is spooky fast and felt great. I think if Dogger holds it to 80-85% I should be able to hang with him.... Can't wait to ride it again... Maybe in the early morning again.

So do I think it is worth the hard earned money I spent....YES... Is it for everyone, no... But if you are a aggressive rider who like to wick it up, I would give Lee a call ASAP...

I would also like to thank Lee for his help, and tour of this first rate shop. Maybe more later after I ride it more....All I can say is WOW!!! :yahoo: Smitty

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

Man, thats a lotta dough to spend on something ya can't see. Well, I can see the stickers, so I guess it's legit.

Man, thats a lotta dough to spend on something ya can't see. Well, I can see the stickers, so I guess it's legit.

I did a daily cost average... If you ride alot x average bike life = For less than the cost of a cup of coffee a day.......you can have the best suspension available .... :p

I do have a extra set of decals, $499.95 paypal only..... Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a daily cost average... If you ride alot x average bike life = For less than the cost of a cup of coffee a day.......you can have the best suspension available .... :p
Is that Starbucks, or 7-11? :D

I do have a extra set of decals, $499.95 paypal only..... Smitty
:rofl:

Sounds like your happy with it.

The Wilburs on the FJR is the first aftermarket suspention I've gone for on a bike (after over 25 years and dozens of bikes) and I should have done it long ago!

FWIW, I don't think you spent too much. Not if you value performance in your suspension. Might do it myself someday, and I'm not all nuts about carving corners at high speed. I just like suspension that works nice, at least on a motorcycle.

I think you did one of the righ options, I would never do the Wilbers thing again, too many mistakes, I still don't have the right spring on the rear, I have it just need to put it on this winter. Bums me that we had to play and I had my work clothes on. I noticed that the trunk on the FJR is higher mounted than the ST1300. It sure makes the front light.

You looked good today. Did you notice the R6 blowing a bit of Blue there today?

Neville

I guess I should have added..... This kit can be fitted to your next bike for a few hundred bucks. This makes the deal even better.... So if you sell (gasp) your FJR, put the stock parts back in.

Lee even shipped my stock shock, and fork internals back to Missouri for me. What a guy.....He even let me ride his 05 FJR to get a feel for the fork setup.....

I will have to redo the cost average for the second bike. By the time you put it in the third bike it will be almost free.... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: Smitty

Smitty 141 I agree with you all the way.... I spoke with Dan at Traxxion. I went with the same AR20 up front and a Penske on the rear. Long story short, worth every penny. Not to jack the thread, but if I don't come off the gas or I don't try and brake through the corner, it almost handles as good as my R1 did. I know thats saying a lot...believe me, but it true.

The biggest issue for me, I now have more ground clearance. Before the new parts, solo 1 up on the Hard setting, touching either peg was too easy. Now, I am over further and have not touched either peg. Again, worth every cent !!

Rick

Rick, I commend you for having searched to find this thread, though it be dead by 10 years. I just wanted to let you know that smitty probably won't see your agreement.
smile.png

Rick, I commend you for having searched to find this thread, though it be dead by 10 years. I just wanted to let you know that smitty probably won't see your agreement.
smile.png

"Last Active Jun 23 2016 12:38 PM"

You never know..

Holy Zombie Thread! *Almost* ten years old. Just a month shy. I love seeing these old threads. I wonder just how many FJRs, and other bikes our dear Smitty has had since then . Silly bastard.

And I loved the Ak-20s I had in the 04 FJR. But then I also love the Racetech gold valves I have in my 09 FJR.

Didn't know it was a zombie thread, but soon realized it was because ole Dogger/Skinny/Dave died tragically a few years back...I personally hope Smitty doesn't see this thread again.

When my stock Gen3 suspension gets used up, suspension is the first thing I will replace...the best $$ you can put in a bike. It makes the bike imo and I don't even ride hard.

A few years ago I was ready to upgrade my 06 with 93,000 miles on it to a newer model. I then decided to try the AK-20 and Penske combo. Best thing I have done to it. It was like riding a new bike. Traxxion was very interested in seeing the insides of my forks with that high of mileage. According to them they had never done one with that many miles that was still stock. Not a cheap upgrade but a good investment to have a like new bike again.