Broken "W"?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HartClimbs

Reaction score
So today I'm riding my 08 FJR and swear I'm hearing a clicking noise occasionally from the front of the bike that I hadn't noticed before. Well - only 600 miles on the bike and one of the plastic tabs that hold the plastic "W" thingie on the front of the windshield (you know the one that's held on by an allen screw) has cracked.

One side of the "W" was still firmly attached - but I'm floored the #!@!@#! thing would break so easily. From the markings on the back of the "W", it's made of ABS - no idea why those tabs would have been made so brittle. There's metal clips on them - but the plastic snapped right under the clip right near where the allen screw goes through.

I'm guessing it's a manufacturer defect and I'll just bring it to the dealer to get replaced, but has anyone else seen something similar? I'm hoping it's not a part that's going to end up on backorder and keep me off the FJR for too long!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of wondering if it was man-handled during prep? I think they install the shields but I could be wrong.

Or

Perhaps it got hit by something? Who knows, bottom line is, even if it is on backorder, it's purely a cosmetic part. Not needed to keep the shield on.

Ride-on until you get another.

I took the stock windshield off my 06 as I was replacing it with a CalSci large screen (and what a difference that made). When I got the "W" off I noticed that one of the L shaped "tabs" was broken. There was a little bit of some sort of foam-backed gray tape of some kind stuck to it where the end of the tab was broken off - I am assuming that the thing broke when the local dealer personnel were either 1) putting the screen on when they finished assembling the bike from the crate or 2)when perhaps it was disassembled when they put in a new instrument panel. Somebody seemed to have "jury-rigged" something and just put it back on thinking maybe I'd never notice it???

I was a little pissed but just used a plastic tab I made and JB welded it on as close to same placement and shape as other tabs and it seems to be working fine. Suppose I could make an issue of it at local dealer where I purchased it and had the work done - maybe will do that when I find the time............

I just went down about a week ago, slipped in some slick mud and the rear whell slid out and low sided. I was not going fast just above a crawl. When I went down my lip cought the edge of the windsheild just a small cut, no problem, as I went down I put my hands forward to break my fall and my left hand pushed on the windsheild and the windsheild popped off it did not break. The plastic screws all broke the heads off and both tabs on the "W" broke off.

Could this be a safety feature? If in a crash the windsheild will seperate from the bike instead of the windsheild breaking and cutting a body part, kinda like a crumple zone in a car?

BKR CHK

07 FJR 1300

..as I went down I put my hands forward to break my fall and my left hand pushed on the windsheild and the windsheild popped off it did not break. The plastic screws all broke the heads off and both tabs on the "W" broke off.
Could this be a safety feature? If in a crash the windsheild will seperate from the bike instead of the windsheild breaking and cutting a body part, kinda like a crumple zone in a car?
This subject is getting off of the original topic and might be best for a new thread...but yes, it is by design and I posted a thread about it here.

I busted mine while changing out my shield... (uhh... I was in a hurry... wasn't paying attention... the sun was in my eyes... :ermm: )

I ordered a new one online - about $60 or so... for that little piece of plastic!

I guess I can't complain... I was the one with the meat hooks that busted the tab... I chalked it up to my stupidity tax for the day. :crazy:

When my 06 was new, I too noticed the ticking sound coming from the windshield. When I investigated it one of the tabs was broken and it had a larger than expected clamp on it. I suspect it was broken during dealer install.

I fixed it by gluing an "L" piece of abs on top of the stub and found a new bracket at Lowes.

Hasan't been a problem since.

When my 06 was new, I too noticed the ticking sound coming from the windshield. When I investigated it one of the tabs was broken and it had a larger than expected clamp on it. I suspect it was broken during dealer install.I fixed it by gluing an "L" piece of abs on top of the stub and found a new bracket at Lowes.

Hasan't been a problem since.
I called the dealer today. They said I needed to pay to order a new part - then they could check after they saw the old one if it was covered under warranty. Good point about the screws and parts being made for "breakways" in the event of a getoff....I'd never thought of that. Didn't hit anything - so it was probably just damaged during assembly. Hopefully they cover it - but not the end of the world if they don't.

Hey - I wanted it fixed like new so I forked over the $50. Should be in next week.

I noticed a broken tab on my "W" right after picking up the 07'.

The dealer broke it during setup. They attempted to epoxy it back on.

It didn't hold and I wasn't happy. I took it back to them in hand and told

them I didn't appreciate them trying to hide broken parts on my brand

new ride. I them told them to take one off another bike and hand it to

me...which they did. I installed it without breaking it!

More proof...nobody cares for your FJR more than you do!