Gas leak?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqidget

Reaction score
The past couple weeks when I shut down the bike and get off I have a very strong smell of gas. This did not happen last year or the beginning of this year. Has anyone had a fuel leak issue? I will be dropping it off on May 7. I am hoping to solve it and not need to get it to the dealer. I am more concerned with having a fire. Any ideas?

Check your tank vent hose and see if someone routed them incorrectly. My local stealership did this twice before I caught it.

If the vent hoses are routed underneath the seat area, you will constantly smell gas when you park the bike. The hose should be routed back and down, through the guide opening and pointed straight down at the end.

Is it getting warmer where you are riding?

I'm guessing it is just normal venting of the fuel tank from heat/expansion, and you are smelling the resulting fumes. Check your fuel tank vent line where it ends at the bottom of the bike. More than likely, it will be moist from condensation of the venting fuel vapors. I have had mine actually drip a bit on the ground when really hot out, and parked in the sun. This tends to occurr more often when the tank is on the full side.

Is it getting warmer where you are riding?

I'm guessing it is just normal venting of the fuel tank from heat/expansion, and you are smelling the resulting fumes. Check your fuel tank vent line where it ends at the bottom of the bike. More than likely, it will be moist from condensation of the venting fuel vapors. I have had mine actually drip a bit on the ground when really hot out, and parked in the sun. This tends to occurr more often when the tank is on the full side.
Gunny Skooter G!

EDIT: Or did I speak to soon...

Was it methane, natural gas, a fart, etc. Try Bean-O?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input so far. I will check the vent tube. I can't eat mexican food, but it is a good idea to for check that too! I have actually noticed it towards full tank on rides that start on cooler temps, @45 or so degrees. After it is hot, like when I get to work or home I smell it strongly. It parks in the shade in both places. After 1/2 hour or so it is gone. ???

I would think that's normal venting especially after ridding and being hot. I sometimes smell it from my '05, but not very often, usually when it's fairly full or outside temp is real hot. Unless you are actually leaking fuel, that would be bad, I'd think you're OK. If you smell it all the time, you may want to look around very carefully.

Good luck. And go easy on the Mexican food. ;)

My goldwing did that same thing and it was the vent tube, it had been kinked, when the kink was corrected the strong order went away.