Bad hesitation on take off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalaxyBlue

Reaction score
I filled my tank at the Mobil station off of 405 in Los Angeles, And was finishing my trip to San Diego to meet up with my brother, WHen i noticed the bike was sputtering until it passed 2500 rpm's. I suspect bad gas ($4.09/gal :angry2: ), At least thats what i hope anyway.

Where is the fuel filter on this anyway?

Adam

Damn Adam! Between this and the rotor question you just posted it seems like your not having any luck at all today!

It was hot in LA, yes? Check your gas cap vent - the little orange thingy. A common malady when the weather turns hot. Mine will do the same and it clears once underway. Vapor in the line or sumpin'.

It was hot in LA, yes? Check your gas cap vent - the little orange thingy. A common malady when the weather turns hot. Mine will do the same and it clears once underway. Vapor in the line or sumpin'.
Yes, It was rather warm there...90's.

I was thinking that also, But then i did a breakfast ride and it was more pronounced even with cool ocean air.

Me thinks my bike dont like California. :rolleyes:

Hey, I have almost 28,000 on the clock. Think my valves are all phooey?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool ocean air.....warm weather in the 90's......what are the chances you have just enough condensation to give your bike fits? A shot of gasline antifreeze probably wouldn't hurt.

I always doubt the ever popular problem of "bad gas", at least that gas in the tank. Having put on 1.8 million miles on cars during my career in sales and prolly 200k on bikes, I gotta say I've never had any bad fuel. Bad gas, maybe, but no bad fuel.

Most of the time I bought the cheapest stuff I could find.

FWIW, I just did the valve check on my 05 last week and they were all in spec @ 29,000 miles.

Has the TPS been changed??

What you describe is the same thing I had with a bad TPS.

Just my two-cents worth.

Has the TPS been changed??
What you describe is the same thing I had with a bad TPS.

Just my two-cents worth.
Sort of...

When i loaded the PCiii map, I set the TPS through the Power Commander. I did this in Missouri almost 3000 miles ago though. Delayed reaction?

Apples & oranges if I understand what you are saying about the PCIII and the TPS.

There was a large recall for defective Throttle Position Sensors on the FJR's FI rack. It can indeed cause the symptoms you report. The easiest way to field troubleshoot the TPS is to call or stop into a Yamaha shop and have them run your VIN. They can tell you if your FJR was in the recall range and if it has actually been replaced. My TPS was in the recall range but I never got a notification from Yamaha. Should take seconds and cost zero.

FWIW, Fabone had a defective TPS that caused his engine to have a flame-out while he was leaned over in a corner. The only thing that came out intact was Fabone, his FJR didn’t do as well.

It should take less than 30 minutes to change the TPS but it requires special tools.

Apples & oranges if I understand what you are saying about the PCIII and the TPS.
There was a large recall for defective Throttle Position Sensors on the FJR's FI rack. It can indeed cause the symptoms you report. The easiest way to field troubleshoot the TPS is to call or stop into a Yamaha shop and have them run your VIN. They can tell you if your FJR was in the recall range and if it has actually been replaced. My TPS was in the recall range but I never got a notification from Yamaha. Should take seconds and cost zero.

FWIW, Fabone had a defective TPS that caused his engine to have a flame-out while he was leaned over in a corner. The only thing that came out intact was Fabone, his FJR didn’t do as well.

It should take less than 30 minutes to change the TPS but it requires special tools.
Thanks Alan!

I believe that might be it! I totally forgot about that! I disregarded the notification when i heard people saying that their bikes acted worse after the TPS recall.

I guess i didnt have enough miles logged to expose this problem.

Is this something that ANY dealer can do? Do they stock the parts? I ask since my dealer in Springfield closed up. If i can find a good dealer on the way home, I would get it done then! :)

The TPS isn't a normal service item, perhaps a larger size dealer may have one on a stock room shelf. Our FJR TPS is used on a variety of YamaCycles as well as snowmobiles. Any dealer should be able to replace the TPS (without having to remove the FI rail, if they say the rail has to come out consider walking away from this dealer).

I've got a 'How To Check the TPS' via the diAG screen someplace in this forum -- ahh, it is >>HERE<< The diAG test isn't the final word on the health of the TPS, but if you have the stumble 100% of the time I believe the diAG test will show your failure if you are having one.

As to bikes running worse after a TPS change, IMO it isn’t the TPS fault, I believe there were other preexisting issues that the TPS masked. That turned out to be the case with my bike; I had a spark plug wire problem. If the FI rail isn’t removed the only things that can go wrong is if the dealer didn’t take care with the O-Ring on the TPS shaft or didn’t do a very simple calibration.

Good luck. Problems 2k miles from home sure are exciting!

Changing the TPS because of the re-call is what I meant like Ion.....

This is probably your problem if it hasn't been changed.

Good Luck.