steering lock bolts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMC FJRider

Reaction score
I have searched, with neg results. A very simple question before I break something. I want to pull my ignition/steering lock out for repair, but was told that the bolts are BREAK AWAY bolts. They do not appear to be very durable. Can I just take them out, or is there something special, with a special tool that needs to be done?

Thanks DK

Last edited by a moderator:
I have searched, with neg results. A very simple question before I break something. I want to pull my ignition/steering lock out for repair, but was told that the bolts are BREAK AWAY bolts. They do not appear to be very durable. Can I just take them out, or is there something special, with a special tool that needs to be done?
Thanks DK
You can drill the heads out (whats left of them after the "breakaway"), remove the switch, and then the studs that are left.

Do you know where this is this found in the service manual? I like to read and look things over before I start breaking, drilling, screwing (up).....throwing, cussing......etc

Do you know where this is this found in the service manual? I like to read and look things over before I start breaking, drilling, screwing (up).....throwing, cussing......etc
Search the forum for replacing the triple clamp with a handlebar riser plate. they'll explain & show pics of removing ignition switch. also theres a banned vendor who 's site will explain (hope that last bit of info isnt out of line).

I dont know where in the manual it states it, or even if it does. It's common knowledge here that the ignition removal requires drilling out the breakaway bolts. There may be some extra reading info on Heli's site, I know you have to remove the ignition to change the upper tripple tree.

Heli HRT076-02 install

This is what I was looking for, I was just looking under the wrong thing. I'm not replacing my clamp, but it sure does have good pics on what to do with the ignition/sterring lock. This says it all and will help greatly, Thx

Latest posts