08 Brake Adjustments

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musman

Reaction score
I noticed on my new 08 (300 miles) that when I have my bike in neutral and spin the tires, they spin freely...but only for one or two rotations at most because it seems the brake pads are contacting the rotors at all times, even when I don't have the brakes engaged.

Is this correct & normal? If not...how should they be set and how do I adjust them? Is it something I can do easily or should I have my dealer adjust them. I've never touched the brake system for any bike I've owned for fear of doing something wrong that would cause a safety issue...especially since this is ABS.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed on my new 08 (300 miles) that when I have my bike in neutral and spin the tires, they spin freely...but only for one or two rotations at most because it seems the brake pads are contacting the rotors at all times, even when I don't have the brakes engaged.
It's normal. Just like on your car, the brake pads are never out of contact with the discs. If you can spin the wheel assembly (in other words, some slight resistance, but not like the brakes are applied) that's what its supposed to be like.

Howdy:

The rear wheel rotor is mounted solidly to the rear wheel unlike the front wheel rotors which "float" as they rotate on the wheel. The solid mounts on the rear will make a rubbing sound, which causes no harm.

Take a short spin on the feejer, stop and feel the front rotors vs. the rear rotors - the rear will be warm/hot while the front will be coolish (unless you used the front brakes hard over a set of knarly corners!).

I just came off a HD FXDX with solid mounted rotors front and back and after 23K i was on the original set of brake pucks.

You should be just fine.

Cheers!

That's great...thanks for the info. I'm glad to know the brakes are setup correctly.