Intermittent dash bulb problem - 2005 model

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avigar

Reaction score
I noticed that the dash light bulb betwwen the speedo and tach flickers on and off intermittently. If I were to tap the dash, it would stay lit for a while. Can I buy the bulb replacements at my local auto store or are these Yamaha proprietary parts? Also, is there another way to remove the dash panel without having to remove the front upper cowl assembly and windshield? Thanks.

Nope, you're removing the front cowling and need to order Yamaha specific bulbs...unless you want to be the first one to engage in finding an alternate source for these unique bulbs.

I documented the gauge opening and bulb replacement here with detailed pictures and another person links to the cowling removal procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The filament is broken and you're on borrowed time. Outside of loose connections and corroded connections, the reason bulbs will go dark and then re-light is that the tungsten filaments are like coil springs. The tungsten develops microscopic steps or notches with age and ultimately breaks at one. In a house light, that is generally the end - the filament ends hang limp. [bustanut or Odot can insert anatomical jokes somewhere around this point.] However, the vibration in vehicles will sometimes allow the broken ends to catch each other. And then knock them apart.

Damn, I need a life.

Thanks for replies. Short of going to the local dealership, who's the recommended online vendor and contact for Yamaha parts?

Thanks for replies. Short of going to the local dealership, who's the recommended online vendor and contact for Yamaha parts?
As the original question was covered in the FAQ section...so are the online parts sources.

unless you want to be the first one to engage in finding an alternate source for these unique bulbs.

he wouldn't be the first one - I searched the entire 'Net for a replacement last year.

Once you see how the bulbs are designed and plug into the circuit board you will see why you can only get them from Yamaha.