'08 Stalling problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Rich

Reaction score
Hello,

My '08 stalls if the throttle is blipped while stopped. The bike can be in gear or neutral, hot or cold. There is no problem if I slowly roll on the throttle; It's just the quick twist. I also notice this happens while coming to a stop, sometimes while still rolling. Distance doesn't matter. It happened from short hop to a continuous 20 mile run. As soon as I stopped and blipped the throttle, it stalls.

I searched archives and notice there was a problem for '03-'06 TPS. Could this be the same problem or has someone heard/experience this?

Bike is brand new, out of crate. Started on the maiden ride. Was pretty bad at 85 miles. Brought back to dealer and it only happened once for the mechanic. He looked up the VIN and didn't find any known issues. He mentioned some previous years had ECM failures, but they were resolved. He suggested it may be bad gas (supplied by the dealer BTW) and to run a couple of tanks of fresh gas through to see if it helps. I have let the tank run down to 1 or 2 bars on the fuel gauge and have refilled twice (87 once then 89 octane; Name brand gas). I am schedule for the 600 mile service next week and he has me scheduled to address this issue too.

If, while stopped, I slowly rev the engine, it does sound like there is a fuel/air mixture problem or, it could be missing. On the road there is no problem and has lots of power. I'm not sure if it's 100% power, but it "gets up and goes" quickly.

Also, I'm on my 3rd tank of gas in less than 300 miles.

Anyone come across this?

Thanks,

Rich

I've had it happen a couple of times too, but it was under 200 miles at the time, and haven't noticed it since. Hoping the problem corrected itself, but I'l update my story if it starts happening again.

As far as 3 tanks of gas for 300 miles, I don't know what to say 'bout that. Are you sure it's an FJR, and not a Hummer your riding?

TC Mike,

Thanks for info. Hopefully mine will clear up too.

Regarding the gas usage, I just filled up this morning, so it's actually 2 tanks used under 300 miles.

Rich

Hello,
My '08 stalls if the throttle is blipped while stopped. The bike can be in gear or neutral, hot or cold. There is no problem if I slowly roll on the throttle; It's just the quick twist. I also notice this happens while coming to a stop, sometimes while still rolling. Distance doesn't matter. It happened from short hop to a continuous 20 mile run. As soon as I stopped and blipped the throttle, it stalls.

I searched archives and notice there was a problem for '03-'06 TPS. Could this be the same problem or has someone heard/experience this?

Bike is brand new, out of crate. Started on the maiden ride. Was pretty bad at 85 miles. Brought back to dealer and it only happened once for the mechanic. He looked up the VIN and didn't find any known issues. He mentioned some previous years had ECM failures, but they were resolved. He suggested it may be bad gas (supplied by the dealer BTW) and to run a couple of tanks of fresh gas through to see if it helps. I have let the tank run down to 1 or 2 bars on the fuel gauge and have refilled twice (87 once then 89 octane; Name brand gas). I am schedule for the 600 mile service next week and he has me scheduled to address this issue too.

If, while stopped, I slowly rev the engine, it does sound like there is a fuel/air mixture problem or, it could be missing. On the road there is no problem and has lots of power. I'm not sure if it's 100% power, but it "gets up and goes" quickly.

Also, I'm on my 3rd tank of gas in less than 300 miles.

Anyone come across this?

Thanks,

Rich

This has been discussed so you'll probably get hammered.

Mine would do it if you really snapped the throttle quick. Make sure the idle is up around 1100. And if you REALLY want it to run better, do the barbarian jumper mod. Its easy and cost nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rushes,

Thanks for the info.

What I'm describing though is typical at a stop sign or light. Just a quick snapped of the throttle. Seems wrong to stall then! :)

I'll search for the "barbarian jumper mod".

Thanks,

Rich

This has been discussed so you'll probably get hammered. :headbonk: Mine would do it if you really snapped the throttle quick. Make sure the idle is up around 1100. And if you REALLY want it to run better, do the barbarian jumper mod. Its easy and cost nothing.

Rich, I had the same problem and it tirns out the idle was too low. I do have a hesitation problem now of a hesitation when the throttle is blipped. If I blip from 1500 RPM no problem but if I blip from idle I hear the cam chain a little, as if the idle is still too low. When I brought it back to the Dealer for the stalling and the hesitation they just raised the throttle and said the hesitation was "normal". I'm not convinced!!!!

my 07 has done it a couple of times. Mainly snapping the throttle to hear the pipes rumble, while at a stop sign. I added some 2 bros slip ons a little while back, and it changed the airflow to much. I wasn't sure if i had bad gas, air/fuel mix, needed a PCIII or just hot and tired and killed the motor.

I know the problem all too well. Just purchased an 08 and the same thing is happening to me. Will do the 600 mile check with the dealer and maybe have some adjustments made to correct the problem but the problem seems to be a little better but I am still not happy. Please stay in touch and let me know of any progress as I will do the same for you. Thanks

Ok here it is, to everyone who suggested the stalling 08 bikes increase the idle to 1100 rpms, you were right on the money. Last night I did the barbarian jumper mod which was very easy mainly because the instructions and pics (I like pics) were easy to understand. The change in the CO numbers smoothed the bike's motor and was well worth the little time it took to do the job. Upon completing the BJM I started the bike and let it warm up to operating temp. I gave the blackbird a couple of quick blips on the throttle and it stalled. The same thing happened over and over and over and over until my wife came out in the garage and gave me one of those "what in the hell are you doing" looks (I know that one after 35 years of marital bliss). I thought, "well it must be the idle being too low", sometimes it takes me a while to catch on. After the instructions were sent to me along with some great pics (I love those PICS) I sat down on the right side of the blackbird and turned the little screw until she read 1100 rpms, all of 20 seconds. Problem of stalling is now gone. Thanks to all who spent the time to try to reach out to this hardheaded X-HARLEY RIDER of 30 yrs. Everyone has been so helpful and my thanks to each one of you. Be safe. Later

Snow

Ya gots to listen to these folks. They really really really know what they are talking about.

Hi Everyone,

I have an 08 with approx. 500 miles on it. It stalled one time when I first got it as I was pulling up to a light with the clutch pulled in. It was very cold outside, so I just thought that was the reason for the stall. I've always noticed when I blimped the throttle that there was a slight hesitation, but nothing big and the bike seem to run fine other than that.

However, the other night I went out for a short ride and the bike stalled several times...twice in a row at one light as I blimped the throttle. After warming up a few more minutes, it didn't stall again, even though I was specifically trying to do it. I'm leaving this weekend for a two day bike trip & didn't want to have to worry about this issue.

So...after reading about this issue here and on other threads, I checked my idel and it was set to 1100 already, so I decided not to change that. Next I printed the great info about the BJM and did that today. It was very easy, so thanks to the great instructions! Anyway, my understanding is that the common setting from the factory is C1-5, C2-18, C3-18, C4-21...and the common suggestion is to increase each cylinder by +7. However, when I checked my factor settings first, they were at ALL at 10...so changing mine to the recommended settings of C-12, C-25, C-25, C28 was quite a change. I made the recommended change, but haven't been out on a ride yet to test how it runs, so I'll see how much of a difference it makes.

My main question is...it seems logical to me that all cylinders would have equal settings (like my factory setting of 10), but that doesn't appear to be the case based on info from this forum.

Can anyone give me the technical reason (for my understanding) why the setting per cylinder is different & not the same for all cylinders? Also, will this change have a big impact on my gas milage as I assume I will now be pumping more fuel into the cylinders on a regular basis compared to before? Or is the fuel change very minor from that perspective? Basically...I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what impact my changes are expected to have.

Thanks

Jerry

This thread looks to be winding down a bit but I have another complication that may be an indication that this is indeed a new problem.

I have an 06 AE that had the CO settings bumped up +7 within the first 90 miles and idle always set to 1100. It ran that way for two years with absolutly no problems.

However I just recently had the new ECU installed per the recall and now if I'm not careful when 'blipping' the throttle it will stall. Within 50 miles it's happened twice. BTW the CO settings were set back to +7 and idles at 1100.

The dealer said they had to send the old ECU back to Yamaha but I wish I still had it to try out just to double check this stalling problem.

Just had the ECU replaced the other day. No jumper mod - yet. Only rode it home from the dealer. I'll try some "blipping" and get back to this thread. :glare:

OK...I know this is probably a dumb question, but what exactly is the ECU...and if I bought my 08 in February, is there a recall on it for the ECU? Or only on older bike's ECU's?