Rattling windshield on 08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docholiday

Reaction score
Is anyone else annoyed by the rattling windshield on the 08? It seems to be due to the new plastic. Any suggestions for getting rid of the rattle?

All the Gen II's windows has some play and only a very few have reported any "rattling". My 06 if you take and grasp the center top of the window between your fingers can move the window approx. 3/4" due to play in the mechanism. I have not though had a problem with any associated noise due to this movement.

You can also move the window to the full up position and while there check the allen bolts that hold the support arms on to make sure they're tight as well.

As I remember there was mention in an 08 stock ad that said the window mechanism on the 08 had been improved. To what that was I'm not sure. I've also got an 08 stock window on my 06, thanks to one of our fine members here, because it has the protective coating the 06 didn't come with and still no issues. I'm betting there is no new plastic, just coated to help eliminate scratches.

Like mentioned, take the painted "W" bracket off the front and check the tightness on the plastic screws that hold the window on to make sure their tight and do not over tighten them as they are just plastic. And the reason they're plastic is incase of a crash they are suppose to sheer so no broken or pointed pieces will be contacting the rider.

So let us know if you find the problem. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone else annoyed by the rattling windshield on the 08? It seems to be due to the new plastic. Any suggestions for getting rid of the rattle?
My 07 had the same problem. Took it back to the dealer who replaced the painted bracket on the front of the windshield. It still rattled, so he took it off and placed two-sided tape on it - replaced the bracket and, no more rattling. That was almost 10,000 miles ago, and it's still tight.

I got the touring windshield put on today at the dealers and the rattle seems to be gone. Don't know if it was the screws but the windshield did have any "wiggle" when I pushed on it with the original version. The new windshield seems much taller, wider, and heavier with what looks like a thicker plastic. I suspect the extra weight is helping with the rattle. The roads are filled with potholes around me and the rattle was only present when hitting bumps. Thanks for the ideas though. I might try some padding or tape under the W frame if any more rattles show up.

Good tread.

Sounds like two different problems: One is that W cover plate that is a bit loose. Douple sided tape could fix it or add some tape to the small tabs that slide into slots on the shield. The other problem is the sliding mechanism deeper inside the front cowling. It is surprizing that Yamaha would "allow" so much wiggle (sloppy movement) right up front and in your face so to speak. Mine moves about an inch at the top edge. Makes the bike seem a bit cheap when the rest of the bike is so well done.

Would be glad to know of a fix.

Givi windshield does not flex & move like the oem windshield.

Givi windshield does not flex & move like the oem windshield.