Max passenger weight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svbandit

Reaction score
What might be the max passenger weight recommended for the fjr? I'm 170#, passenger about 220#. Will this be an issue of stressing the subframe? Thanks in advance

I wouldn't worry about the subframe. I'd worry about the stock shock that is going to whimper at the task.

Although you won't break anything you'll greatly reduce the service life of this already marginal shock. Think Penske or Ohlins from your helpful friends at GP Suspension.

Handling dynamics will change, too. Be aware. The front will be lighter and tend to push in turns, hard bits will touch down sooner, etc., not to mention really easy wheelies.

You don't mention how often you plan on riding with passenger... The stock shock, subframe, etc... will handle that weight just fine. The handling effects will be there regardless of what rear shock you're running. I think the max load is 450 - 500 on the FJR, and you're talking 390#...

I'm 250 and my passenger is 180 and with the occasional rides, the FJR is just fine in stock mode...

Jason

Just curious. Does the 'owner' of that 220 number know that that number is out here in this shady corner of the internet? Some pillions might be sensitive about that kind of thing.

Just curious. Does the 'owner' of that 220 number know that that number is out here in this shady corner of the internet? Some pillions might be sensitive about that kind of thing.

I thought about switching the numbers around but it would not have done me any good or had my question answered correctly. Honesty is always the best policy.

Your owners manual will list the GVWR and carrying capacity.

Make sure to check your tire pressures to have adequate support "down there".

The 2007 spec is 39lbs front and 42lbs rear - assume the 08's must be simliar.

Shiny side up.

Just looked it up...

Maximum load:

211 kg (465 lb) (CAL)

212 kg (467 lb) (U49)

(Total weight of rider, passenger, cargo and

accessories)

Don't know if that includes the cases themselves or just the cargo inside them... but you two are still plenty below the limit! ;)