Cruddy hot starts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Calimus

Ok, so the weather outside is pretty damn nice and the bike is seeing more mailes every day. However, I've found something a bit disturbing. Since my get off in August, I've had a hot start issue with the bike 3 times. It never did this before the accident.

If the bike is at normal running temp, say 2 bars on the guage, I don't seem to have the issue and this is normally the case. However, if I'm stuck at a light long enough for the temp to hit 3 or 4 bars and it's like that when I shut off for refuel or whatever and fire back up. She fails to turn over strong, stops trying to start (almost like a flat battery) and it resets the LCD as far as trip and time. Usually turn the key off, back on and another wack at the start button meets with success. I've checked many of the electrical connections, everything looks clean and tight. The dealer did a nice job putting her back together.

I'm thinking that maybe the battery was damaged a bit from the accident and then sitting in the shop for 3 months with nary a charge. Bike is an 05', original battery. Time for a new one or maybe I should check a few more things?

Ok, so the weather outside is pretty damn nice and the bike is seeing more mailes every day. However, I've found something a bit disturbing. Since my get off in August, I've had a hot start issue with the bike 3 times. It never did this before the accident.
If the bike is at normal running temp, say 2 bars on the guage, I don't seem to have the issue and this is normally the case. However, if I'm stuck at a light long enough for the temp to hit 3 or 4 bars and it's like that when I shut off for refuel or whatever and fire back up. She fails to turn over strong, stops trying to start (almost like a flat battery) and it resets the LCD as far as trip and time. Usually turn the key off, back on and another wack at the start button meets with success. I've checked many of the electrical connections, everything looks clean and tight. The dealer did a nice job putting her back together.

I'm thinking that maybe the battery was damaged a bit from the accident and then sitting in the shop for 3 months with nary a charge. Bike is an 05', original battery. Time for a new one or maybe I should check a few more things?
Calimus, what you're describing is a marginal battery. It's time to replace it.

Or, first try cleaning and tightening battery cable connections, on which any corrosion can become a real problem on hot starts. Especially check the battery ground at the lower right front of the motor, a known trouble spot. Still could be the battery, it's due in any case, but the symptoms suggest otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calimus, what you're describing is a marginal battery. It's time to replace it.
Agree. When you're sitting idle, I think the bike is chewing up more power than the charging system is providing...especially if it's hot enough for the fan to be running. Just for shits and giggles...if the temp is up high or if you've been sitting, give the throttle a couple of whacks for a little boost of charging juice to see if it helps.

Now may be a good time to get a new Westco from Jeff

I have the same problem. I thought it was the battery but after changing it the problem has just come back after about 600 miles or so. Battery terminals are clean, I will check that ground on the engine.

Hey guy's thanks for the info.

Batter terms are clean & tight. However, I was unaware of the known sloppy grounding point, I'll look into that. As for the batt, that deal looks pretty good, might as well get that ordered and do that at the same time as the spark plugs next week.

If anyone has some other thoughts, feel free to post up, no info is bad, can only be something I've already checked or it isn't.

Thanks

So since my last post here I have tried something new. I usually just turn the bike off with the key, I have now started using the switch and it has not had a "hard" start yet. When I was leaving the switch on the fuel pump would come on when the key was turned on. I don't see any reason this would make a difference but it seems to be working. If it has another hard start I will post here, but until then, I will use the switch like I am suposed to.