Creaking Sound in handlebar area.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And when's the last time you checked or had your steering head bearing retorqued?

Mine's quiet. Have you checked your handlebar mounting bolts?

edit: Just checked the specs. 17 ft.lbs on the bolts and 47 ft. lbs on the nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine's quiet. Have you checked your handlebar mounting bolts?
edit: Just checked the specs. 17 ft.lbs on the bolts and 47 ft. lbs on the nuts.
I need to lift the front up and inspect it instead of trying to find the cure on the web.

I guess I’m just getting lazy in my old age. Thanks for the suggestions, time to get back

to basics.

Does it also do it when you apply front brakes? If so, check your handle bar bolt torque AND your triple tree bolt torque. Creaking bars is not indicative of a loose steering head - those click or clunk when loose.

Does it also do it when you apply front brakes? If so, check your handle bar bolt torque AND your triple tree bolt torque. Creaking bars is not indicative of a loose steering head - those click or clunk when loose.
Well I lofted the front wheel and shook down the front end and found that everything is tight. Re-checked the torque on the upper tree nut, handlebars and fork pinch bolts, all correct. There is a clinking type noise and feel when sitting on the bike with all brakes applied (on center stand) and turning steering from side to side?

I did add a little more spring pre-load (one line) to the front fork last weekend, maybe the noise is more pronounced now? Anyway maybe I’ll swing by the dealer and have them listen to it tomorrow. Thanks