New 08 - oil leak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Folks-

Got a new 08 with 400 miles on it. The bike just started leaking oil somwhere from the front of the motor. Not exactly sure where its coming from. The bike has yet to have its 600 mile check-up and no maintenance has been done otherwise that might cause a leak. Is there some component in the front that could cause a leak? Is there an oil cooler up front?? Perhaps - there is a known area, that others have experienced a leak from, that I can check.

Any input is appreciated. Of course - she'll be going back to the dealer for fix and servicing.

Thanks

Scott

You sure it's oil? My bike sometimes leaves a small spot of fuel on the ground if I park in the sun. Probably fuel condensing in the tank vent hose and dripping out. It looks like an oil spot.

Is the oild filter tight? Is there a crush washer on the drain bolt, and tight?

If all is well there then....

I would take it straight back to the dealer and let them figure it out.

Is the oild filter tight? Is there a crush washer on the drain bolt, and tight?If all is well there then....

I would take it straight back to the dealer and let them figure it out.
Since you said it was a new '08, I would let the dealer take care of it. They may have missed something in the initial setup, or yours could just have something a little loose... I've got an '08 also, and haven't had any "oil control issues" and I'm just a bit over 800 mi. on it.

Tek

My 08 seems to be leaking rearend fluid after 300 miles. It is all over my rear rim and appears to around the drain plug. :(

I wipe a lot of greasy crap off of my back rim too. It doesn't smell like gear oil (nor look like it 'cause it's full of BelRay) and I'm guessing it's excess grease from the drive splines. Easy to check gear oil level - pop the plug, it's either there or it isn't.

I wipe a lot of greasy crap off of my back rim too. It doesn't smell like gear oil (nor look like it 'cause it's full of BelRay) and I'm guessing it's excess grease from the drive splines. Easy to check gear oil level - pop the plug, it's either there or it isn't.

Yup.....your probably right bro. :)

Well, off to the dealer today she went. First 3-4 minutes warming up in the driveway and she's already leaking oil and smoking a bit. :( Heading down the hi-way - she's spraying oil on my right boot. :angry01: Before I left I looked to see where it might be coming from and it was hard to tell. I did not take the fairing off to see. Just figured I'd take care of it during the 600 mile service.

Scott

Man ya got scammed. Paid a super low price dincha? Ya got one of those harleha motors I'll bet. Trade her in son.. Cut yer loses and run. Shes nutin but trouble!

:jester:

My 08 seems to be leaking rearend fluid after 300 miles. It is all over my rear rim and appears to around the drain plug. :(
Ben, it possible it's gear lube, but most probable it grease from the splines. I over greased mine once and had it everywhere after a while. I'd check to make sure though just to be safe!

Well, off to the dealer today she went. First 3-4 minutes warming up in the driveway and she's already leaking oil and smoking a bit. :( Heading down the hi-way - she's spraying oil on my right boot. :angry01: Before I left I looked to see where it might be coming from and it was hard to tell. I did not take the fairing off to see. Just figured I'd take care of it during the 600 mile service.
Scott

Have you heard anything from the dealer about what was the cause of the leak? Anything that caused the bike to spray oil on your boot sounds bad.... :dribble:

Scott

Have you heard anything from the dealer about what was the cause of the leak? Anything that caused the bike to spray oil on your boot sounds bad.... :dribble:
Dealer said it was a crush washer on one of the oil lines that while it did 'crush' it was not sitting correctly on the bolt. The bike is all cleaned up and its like it never happened. :) In the 15 miles I road it to the dealer, the front toe of my boot definantly was shiney from oil.

Ahhhhh, on to another day with me FJR! :clapping:

Scott

I over greased mine once and had it everywhere after a while.
Heh heh, huh, huh, uh, huh...

f-beavis1.jpg

Sorry, you just can't lob up a softball like that and not expect me to swing. :p

Last edited by a moderator: