Steering head bearing retorqued

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rondo777

Reaction score
My 06 deff has a loose steering head bearing. I bought the bike new, less then a year ago nad have a little over 7k miles on it. I called the dealer where I bought it and they told me that they want a $90.00 deposit to diagnose the problem. They said if they find that the steering head is loose that then they will check with Yamaha to authorize a warrentee repair and if approved, refund the $90.00. They couldn't comfirm that retorqueinf the bearing bolt is covered by warrentee and they claim that they cant check with Yamaha till they actually check it out themselfs. I hate this dealer and dont trust them at all. What do you guys think. Again, there is no question in my mind about the fact that the bearing is loose

Well, I would think that if the bearing was loose from day one then it should be covered by warranty, otherwise, probably not.

Sonce you don't trust your dealer, like many of us, why not buy a couple of tools and do it yourself? Perhaps there is someone nearby who can show you how.

Well, I would think that if the bearing was loose from day one then it should be covered by warranty, otherwise, probably not.
Sonce you don't trust your dealer, like many of us, why not buy a couple of tools and do it yourself? Perhaps there is someone nearby who can show you how.

I would love to do this myself but the dealer wont even tell me the size of the nut that needs to be tightened. I have all the tools needed to get the to the bearing nut bearing but I dont have the actual wrench to tighten it. Any suggestions on size and where to buy? I know its a wierd open ended looking thing but I have no idea what its called.

I would love to do this myself but the dealer wont even tell me the size of the nut that needs to be tightened. I
You don't need any dealer to tell you this. That's what a service manual is for and a worthwhile investment. And the wrench has been covered on this forum many times before and easily found by searching on steering head tool site:fjrforum.com which I just did and found this thread in 4.7 seconds.

1. The main reason it isn't covered is that you've let it go a year and you've ridden 7500 miles. They would have done it for free if you'd have brought it in after riding a day or three. I don't have the manual handy, but that's possibly more than the recommended verification interval. And in any case it is an adjustment - adjustments are not covered under warranty.

2. Buy a service manual. Buy the tool and use your torque wrench to adjust it and ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The main reason it isn't covered is that you've let it go a year and you've ridden 7500 miles. They would have done it for free if you'd have brought it in after riding a day or three. I don't have the manual handy, but that's possibly more than the recommended verification interval. And in any case it is an adjustment - adjustments are not covered under warranty.
2. Buy a service manual. Buy the tool and use your torque wrench to adjust it and ride.
The nut you are talking about is round with slots in it. In a pinch it can be torqued ou with a hammer and a flat punch. I like them to be tight , with a little preload. Forget about the little spanner that YAMA. sells you don't need it. Bernie