Genn II curved radiator on 2004 bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falcon

Reaction score
Will the 2nd Gen radiator bolt to the gen 1 frame? I will deal with all the fairing interference/clearance issues and re-routing the airflow around the frame/engine/tank. But curious if it is worth investing in the FJR spec part if it will bolt right up, or if I need to come up with my own radiator solution which might be 2 smaller radiators angled out or just a curved radiator from another make/model with homemade bracketing...

trying to prevent having to convert to streetfighter every summer...

fjr3fm5.jpg

It's not just the radiator. They've substantially redone bodywork, subframe components, and maybe even frame mounting points. I'm sure it's not impossible....but one of those equations of whether time, money, and effort wouldn't be better spent on a Gen 2 if heat management bothers you that much.

It's not just the radiator. They've substantially redone bodywork, subframe components, and maybe even frame mounting points. I'm sure it's not impossible....but one of those equations of whether time, money, and effort wouldn't be better spent on a Gen 2 if heat management bothers you that much.

look at what i did to my bike in that pic. i am not afraid.

retrofitting the radiator and re-routing the airflow myself is the next step. i'm not buying another bike. i'm just looking for a starting point before i drop 350 with yamaha on a curved unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a feeling that "naked" wouldn't be very toothsome with this scoot.

I think a change of climate is a better solution.
I already f#$^#$ing moved from TX to CA last year. It is much cooler here. The bike still cooks me over 80 degrees. It doesn't get that hot here very often (amazingly) but when it does I remember the headaches I get from heat exhaustion.

While we wait for someone more familiar with the differences between the bikes, you guys will probably find the commentary in my original thread quite entertaining https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=7331

no frickin way. i would have gotten a honda PC800.

and it is still heat-soaking the frame and tank. i envy his fiberglass skills though.

Sell the fuker an buy a spree!!!! Or buy Nomex britches, as your sensitive skin is no match for these infernal machines!

:jester:

Maybe I need to install an AC unit. :p

I'll be ripping the fairing off soon for the summer conversion and looking at air airflow re-route options while i am in there. rad fluid needs a flush so it might be a good time to remove it and consider my options.

Use amsoil radiator fluid. Should lower your engine temp by about 40 degrees C. On top of that it'll add about 8 horse power.

Oh yeah keep the Amsoil shit coming... I'll see to it ya lose yer distributorship pal! Hawkin of that shit ain't allowed here.

I just love it when someone does something out of the norm and all the purists come out! lol Never ever tamper with the FJR! lol Hey Falcon, we used '92 ZX 750 radiators on our FZR's and OW01 racebikes. Worked great!

I just love it when someone does something out of the norm and all the purists come out! lol Never ever tamper with the FJR! lol Hey Falcon, we used '92 ZX 750 radiators on our FZR's and OW01 racebikes. Worked great!
Purists??? Where?? I see nothing? GET yerself another drink RTSR1. Yer seein things!

Purists??? Where?? I see nothing? GET yerself another drink RTSR1. Yer seein things!

Got any shine?

Falcon, like Iggy says, just changing to the curved radiator isn't gonna do much to help, the airflow is determined by the fairings. You can't even fit later fairings to the bike, the bolts are in different places.

Do you have a heat blanket under the tank? I ride in Florida, and that by itself made the difference for me, kept the tank cooler, which kept my legs cooler.

All the other "fixes" to Gen-I bikes, like holes in the panel under the radiator, and probably even your bikal nudity, reduce airflow through the radiator. Yeah, that reduces heat received by the rider, but the heat the rider felt was heat coming out of the engine, and that's fairly important. Redirecting the air exiting the radiator is what you want to do. Maybe you've got a pal who'd let you disassemble his Gen-II fairings to examine? See what you can copy out of them?

Falcon, like Iggy says, just changing to the curved radiator isn't gonna do much to help, the airflow is determined by the fairings. You can't even fit later fairings to the bike, the bolts are in different places.
Do you have a heat blanket under the tank? I ride in Florida, and that by itself made the difference for me, kept the tank cooler, which kept my legs cooler.

All the other "fixes" to Gen-I bikes, like holes in the panel under the radiator, and probably even your bikal nudity, reduce airflow through the radiator. Yeah, that reduces heat received by the rider, but the heat the rider felt was heat coming out of the engine, and that's fairly important. Redirecting the air exiting the radiator is what you want to do. Maybe you've got a pal who'd let you disassemble his Gen-II fairings to examine? See what you can copy out of them?

Thank you for the feedback. (and thanks to others for the encouragement) As far as the full naked look - I could never detect ANY heat from the bike and it spent more time at 2 bars then it does with the fairing on...and it NEVER got to 4 bars...and I can't even recall the fan ever coming on.

I do have the stock '04 heat blanket under the tank. I do want to do more than just install the Gen II radiator. I would like to control the airflow behind it, generally deflect it and move it out to the sides as quickly as possible. I see the new fairings have much larger openings on the sides. I will modify mine if I need. Considering a holeshot header to eliminate the cats. Do these headers come with some kind of thermal coating or do people add that separate? I know from my car modding days that thermal wrap works best but it traps moisture and will significantly shorten the life of headers.

I think this bike has the potential to be everything I thought it would be when I bought it in August of 2003. I'm not giving up on it yet!

I have the complete Holeshot system AND an aftermarket heat blanket on my '03. Those two VERY simple mods completely eliminated the heat issue :thumbsup:

You might want to consider doing that BEFORE you incur the considerable time and expense of the other mods you're considering. You cannot believe how much heat is thrown off the stock cats. And when you're sitting still, all that heat just rises up (or is blown back by the fan) into the engine compartment and onto your legs.

I believe the Holeshot system is coated both internally and externally with the same stuff (ceramic, if I'm not mistaken). Between that and being an eighth inch larger than stock, it helps move a tremendous amount of heat back and out behind you.

If you want to manage heat, start with the source first. If you can't eliminate the source, then move onto how how best to manage it.

BTW, that "purist" comment above had me rolling on the floor laughing :rofl:

Latest posts