1st gear issue on an 08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quebec FJR

Reaction score
I find I sometimes have difficulty putting in 1st gear. Makes a loud clunk. Is this something I should worry about. Bike has only 300 miles.

Thanks for your help

I find I sometimes have difficulty putting in 1st gear. Makes a loud clunk. Is this something I should worry about. Bike has only 300 miles.
Thanks for your help
Mine did that a bit early on. I've got about 2500 miles on it now and no problem. I think the clutch plates may be just a bit sticky when new.

take it by the dealer where you got it and have them take a look at it then at least you have a record that you might of had an issue....

right down the date name of person you spoke to and keep it in your book... at least you have documentation if you have an issue...

otherwise it will more than likely work its' way out.....

I'd give it some time. Mine does the same thing, feels like break in to me. If it gets to 3K miles and the behavior hasn't changed, see mammayamma.

Am I missing something?

I thought all FJRs clunk going into first gear?!?! And my 04 never got any better with time or age.

My 08 really has to be forced to hit 1st gear from 2nd in motion. My 05 is silky, and takes a masterful swat to find neutral.

But Skooter, they all clunk if you're in neutral, stopped, and put it to first. I ASSumed the OP was talking about the 2nd->1st issue I noticed, which I've had before in a brand new GSXR. It cleared up after some miles and a couple of oil changes.

If Quebec is talking about dropping to first at a stop light, um, yeah. Normal.

My 08 really has to be forced to hit 1st gear from 2nd in motion. My 05 is silky, and takes a masterful swat to find neutral.
But Skooter, they all clunk if you're in neutral, stopped, and put it to first. I ASSumed the OP was talking about the 2nd->1st issue I noticed, which I've had before in a brand new GSXR. It cleared up after some miles and a couple of oil changes.

If Quebec is talking about dropping to first at a stop light, um, yeah. Normal.
Only does it when stopped, you are correct. Thanks