loss of air in tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorkler

Ave U !!!!
Reaction score
I posted this about 5 weeks ago about a set of diablo strada loosing air about every 4 days . I just put on a set of pr 2 on friday and lost 6 lbs in the rear and 7 lbs in the front . Went back to the shop they put new stems they also put them on the strada and did a water test with 60 lbs of air zero bubbles . I asked the head guy to call yamaha which he did when i was there and he recived a recording . We are thinking that the rims are porus . he said he will get back to me a soon as yamaha calls him after that he said i should call them also and start breaking balls . Any ideas .

You might try another water test with about 20 lbs.

Sometimes higher pressures will seal up a rim or stem leak.

I like to mix up a little dish soap and water in a spray bottle to spot leaks. Just look for the bubbles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently had a very similar problem with a new tire. Soaped that puppy several times, rim and all. Never found any sign of any leak.

Finally discovered that if I parked the bike with the tire in a particular position, it leaked almost flat overnight. Contamination around the wheel was the culprit. Dismount the tire. Clean the wheel with a soft wire brush and solvent to remove all the rubber debris. Then remount with lots of tire snot and inflate to 60 psi. All works well.

If somebody suspects a porous wheel. Set the wheel in a plastic tub that allows you to cover the entire bottom section of the wheel and tire. Rotate it slowly and check for leaks.

But my money is on the rim seat.

...and inflate to 60 psi. All works well.
I tried running with some pressures like that once. Didn't work out so well.

Poking at Jeff, here. I'm sure he meant to "seat" the bead at that pressure, then run at the appropriate pressure.

Of course I meant to inflate the tire to 60 psi in order to force a firm seating to the rim. Deflate to recommended pressure before running the tire.

:blink: Just a thought, I had a situation where I was losing air pressure out of my front tire. Checked, no nails, screws, slow leaks in tire and rim...hmmm. Turned out that the front air valve assembly had been installed incorrectly and the rubber grommet that seated around the stem had been "crimped" and finally was beginning to let go.

Just glad it didn't let go on the highway and noticed it while working on the bike in garage.

Had to remove the front wheel and bring to a local Yamaha dealer to have a new valve installed.

End of problem, has been good for 5,000 miles so far and will be changing to new set of tires in

a couple of weeks in preparation for 5,000 mile journey in first two weeks of June.

:blink: Just a thought, I had a situation where I was losing air pressure out of my front tire. Checked, no nails, screws, slow leaks in tire and rim...hmmm. Turned out that the front air valve assembly had been installed incorrectly and the rubber grommet that seated around the stem had been "crimped" and finally was beginning to let go.
Just glad it didn't let go on the highway and noticed it while working on the bike in garage.

Had to remove the front wheel and bring to a local Yamaha dealer to have a new valve installed.

End of problem, has been good for 5,000 miles so far and will be changing to new set of tires in

a couple of weeks in preparation for 5,000 mile journey in first two weeks of June.
New stems put on both sets of tires

Using a mix of 40 percent regular air and 60 percent nitrogen will solve all your problems. The regular air has contaminants that will seal any possible leaks the tire has. The nitrogen(being in more quantity then regular air) will act as the main pressurizing and bead sealing agent around the rim.

I had the same problem with my first set of tires. Since having a properly-mounted set of new tires (and some right-angle stems) installed, no more pressure loss. My guess would be poorly-mounted tires or stems, and I wouldn't bother complaining to Yamaha, until I had the tires re-mounted.

Similar problem with the rear tire. I removed the wheel and put it in the laundry tub with water just covering the rim/stem and patiently waited. Nothing at first, but then I noticed little bubbles forming then breaking away to the surface after about 30 seconds. I wiped the area and watched again - yep more little bubbles. Turned out that only one side of the wheel (drive line side) had these little leaks all along the bead. Resealed with some "seal grease" - OK now. It was losing about 2lbs/day - but that is really annoying after a while!